New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3G Battery Life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kishan82

kishan82 is on a distinguished road

I'm finding with a day of fairly heavy usage I'm pretty low by the time I go to bed and have to recharge the phone. Granted, I've only had it a few days so I'm playing around with it and the apps more than I typically would. How is everyone else finding their battery life with the 3G? any tips to make battery life last longer?

Also, does anyone know if the external battery pack accessories that worked to charge ipods would also work with the iPhone?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

if you are looking to extend the battery life leave the wifi and bluetooth off when not in use
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

ive been quite satisfied with the battery life.. after quite heavy usage with the new apps and interweb today, i still got the same if not a few min better than i was gettin on my old iphone.

and as i mentioned in the thread i made, the 20% and 10% warnign indicators are actually accurate now.. which is a big help
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

I have also heard to turn off "push" for mail
QUOTE Thanks
kaelell

kaelell is on a distinguished road

I have not got the 3g yet. But updated my 2g to 2.0. Ive noticed an obivous decrease in battery life for it, which as you say can only be attributed to the push email.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

One more tip:

Turn location services off (settings/general/).

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
I have also heard to turn off "push" for mail
this seems to be a debated topic but i think push might actually conserve battery life. depends who you ask though.
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
One more tip:

Turn location services off (settings/general/).
What exactly is location services used for?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

This is all very interesting, because if you think the average battery is good for about 250 - 300 charges before it loses 30% of it's capacity, you've got to think that the average iPhone user is going to be sending their iPhone back to Apple within a year.

I charge my blackberry (which as a replaceable battery) 2 - 3 times a week so it'll last 2 years maybe, and my iPod once a week (30 hr battery life).

Doesn't convergence just stink?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
The_Mongrel

The_Mongrel is on a distinguished road

location services are GPS related
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
This is all very interesting, because if you think the average battery is good for about 250 - 300 charges before it loses 30% of it's capacity, you've got to think that the average iPhone user is going to be sending their iPhone back to Apple within a year.

I charge my blackberry (which as a replaceable battery) 2 - 3 times a week so it'll last 2 years maybe, and my iPod once a week (30 hr battery life).

Doesn't convergence just stink?
Or as Apple hopes, we upgrade our iPhone once a year. If we do that, no need to worry about battery charges.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
SamHigh

SamHigh is an unknown at this point

I have been surprised by hom much my battery drains over night. This is due to "push" email for exchange over Wifi.

Might have to start shutting it down at night.

Has anyone noticed the battery indicator is way off? It will look like my battery is 25% on the battery indicator, but when I start to charge my phone it is nearer 50% remaining.

iPhone 3G
MacBook 13" Black
MacBook Pro 15" Dual Core 2.4GHZ 200 GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Turn off, unless needed all the time...

3G,
WiFi,
Location Services.

When you go to Settings/General/Location Services (on off toggle) and turn it off it stays off until you use a program that requires the gps or radio tower triangulation, once you open, say maps and triangulate your position, location services will be turned back on and stay on.

I seem to get 1 or even 2 extra bars when I turn location services off, I don't know if its GPS interference or just extra power drain causing signal to be less powerful, but having Location Services off on the new iPhone 3G is a must.

Its a pain but can save you up to 50% of your battery life as I have noticed. And if you rarely use maps/GPS then it shouldn't be a big deal.

3G isn't in my area till november so I have that off and don't get to report on that yet. Wifi definitely hurts battery life a lot as well.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
russellmj

russellmj is on a distinguished road

Apple has posted some battery saving tips.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

captaindan will become famous soon enough

I found that just turning off the wifi has made my battery life last three times longer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to fix GPS issues in 2.0.1 | 3G and phone signal »