New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Laggy iPhone 3G? what??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xyphos

Xyphos is on a distinguished road

Ok so the vast majority of the time when I get a text message and click reply as I begin to type the phone lags immensely. Most of the time pressing the home button and going back into SMS fixes this problem but sometimes it doesnt and its becoming more frequent. Is anyone experiencing this? Please any feedback would be appreciated. its bumming me out and is very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I get lagging when a page is loading and I want to type on MF. It's a very common problem, especially if you have iTunes running or something else. There's what, a 400MHz processor in there? It's certainly no Core 2 Duo under the hood.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

now that would be the pohne of the future Iphone with core 2 duo... fastest phone on the planet..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphos

Thats another issue that also confuses me, I'm afraid to open up apps cuz theres no task manager I have no way to shut them down if I don't want my phone to lag..
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

You shut them down by holding down the Home button until the app exits. I do wish there was a way to see what was running, though.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Actually, most apps fully close when you exit out of them. There are only a few that actually run in the background, such as the Phone, SMS, and Mail apps.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphos

oh thanks thats helpful but back to the lag...is this common guys? Are your phones doing this?
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

After updating to iPhone 2.0 I have noticed a couple of occasions when the iPhone has serious struggled to keep up with me. Initially it was just in the AIM app so I though it was just poor development. But now I have had it happen to me shen writing 2 different SMS - the system just started crawling - this is no word of a lie - I had written a complete text of about 40 characters and it was still outputting the first word to the screen - it was about 30 characters behind me.

The next text was similar and I was starting to think 'oh no' what has Apple done to my iPhone. Third text was fine so not sure what was going on. I'm hoping it doesn't keep coming back.

Oh and has anyone else noticed the icon for 'non-EDGE' coverage seems to have changed?
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

this happened to me last night. after i was done playing super monkey balls i got a text and it lagged so bad i was scared my iphone was messed up. i would be spelling the last word but the phone was still finishing the first word in a lengthy message.
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphos

thats EXACTLY whats happening to me
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Yes its driving me crazy as well, and I have the old original iPhone but updated it to 2.0
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

there seems to be some slowdown issues since the upgrade to 2.0.. especially in my contacts list, if i click a letter
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i hope it was not a rushed update?

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

This is NORMAL!!!
The iPhone only has a 400MHz processor. I am not sure how much RAM though. You really can't expect it to immediately shut down an app and open another and keep going.
Go buy a 400MHz PC or Mac and tell me if that lags. You're lying if you say it doesn't.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
This is NORMAL!!!
The iPhone only has a 400MHz processor. I am not sure how much RAM though. You really can't expect it to immediately shut down an app and open another and keep going.
Go buy a 400MHz PC or Mac and tell me if that lags. You're lying if you say it doesn't.
Haha. That's what I was thinking... it's still utterly brilliant compared to my ancient Samsung - and I didn't buy it for speed, I bought it because it does everything I want it to, syncs properly to everything else, and looks well cool.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Case For A Case | iPhone 3g HELP!!! »