New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

GPS: How much data does using the GPS use up?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kill8joy

kill8joy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook–2Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

I'm just curious about how much data, in kbs or MBs, the GPS on the iPhone 3G will use up?

Being in Canada, Rogers does not offer any unlimited data plans, although they did announce today a data-only plan of 6GB for $30.

The GPS feature is what I'm most considering getting the iPhone 3G for, so I'd like to know just how memory-consuming the GPS will be.

Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

GPS uses global satellites, it doesn't use cell towers. While the maps programs may utilize cell towers for triangulation as well, thats a completely different thing. So, 0kb's, 0mb's, for gps.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6490 View Post
GPS uses global satellites, it doesn't use cell towers. While the maps programs may utilize cell towers for triangulation as well, thats a completely different thing. So, 0kb's, 0mb's, for gps.
Yeah, but you'll need to have some sort of map for it to be really useful for things other than geotagging. Google Maps uses the 3G connection to stream the maps, but in my experience it's not that much data.

But keep in mind that it's not turn-by-turn directions like a real GPS device offers!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Yeah, but you'll need to have some sort of map for it to be really useful for things other than geotagging. Google Maps uses the 3G connection to stream the maps, but in my experience it's not that much data.

But keep in mind that it's not turn-by-turn directions like a real GPS device offers!
I bet that there will be a GPS application with the app store that gives turn by turn directions...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
I bet that there will be a GPS application with the app store that gives turn by turn directions...
didnt garmin or some one like that said they were in the process of writing an app for the 3g iphone? there will eventually be one down the line.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

TomTom has already announced a program. Apple claims the GPS antenna isn't accurate enough to handle it, but everyone I know of says it seems pretty accurate to them. We'll see.

-k.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

I forgot about streaming maps. They need to make map's downloadable so you can download certain maps, so when you have no cell signal you can still use gps tracking. (example I go into the mountains in Canada snowmobiling where there is never cellular service.) On the other hand, I probably wont bring my iphone up a mountain haha, and I already have a topographical gps so nevermind I guess.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
alprice

alprice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.1 GHZ, 2 MB Ram, 160 MB HD

The Tom Tom is out. As are Navigon, Sygic and others. Sygic US takes up about 1.5 gigs
QUOTE Thanks
Fusion21

Fusion21 is on a distinguished road

I wanna give this topic a bump as the latest response is over a year old. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone4 and deciding what data plan I'll need. What are the GPS options for the iPhone? Is there a commonly used ap, or is the Google maps feature what's used most? Either way, what kind of data usage am I looking at?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

GPS is integrated into the iPhone 4 and any app that WANTS to use it can do so. I can't give you any figures on data usage, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

If you buy Navigon, TomTom or Magellan navigation software, the maps will be stored locally on your phone. You will not be using any data while accessing them. I use navigation software quite often with my data disabled.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Fusion21

Fusion21 is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thanks guys! I assume that if you want to add any of the aps' live traffic function, that'll need to access the web for that info, costing data.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion21 View Post
Awesome, thanks guys! I assume that if you want to add any of the aps' live traffic function, that'll need to access the web for that info, costing data.
Yes...
QUOTE Thanks
Raydeez

Raydeez is on a distinguished road

I've had my 4s for about a week and while testing the gps mapping with data on I used about 30 megabytes (of my 200) in about an hour around Springfield Mo and backdown the interstate to my home in Marshfield.
It was pretty cool since I'd never used anything like it but now that I know there are ways around the data charges, I'll use the work around. I found the following (a method of cacheing the map data)....

Using iPhone GPS Map Without a Data Plan or WIFI Connection

Regards,
R
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

So far, I haven't found that using GPS uses much data at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« updating to iOS 5 issues | iPhone 4s will not turn on »