New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

No Copy/Paste in iPhone 2.0

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

The reviews of the new iPhone are starting to trickle out from Mosberg, Pogue & Baig and I think they all mention something along the lines of 'what was missing from the first iPhone is still missing' like copy/paste.

Now whilst I think it would be nice to have that feature, I just don't understand why so many people consider it a problem to not have this.

I don't think I can remember all the phones I've had before my iPhone - what I can remember is that I've used copy/paste one only one phone (a k800) and only about 2 times.

What is it that I am missing - why is this feature missed so much?
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I don't understand it either. It's at the bottom of my list of missing features, that's for sure. I've only had 2 WM smartphones, but they didn't have it either.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Well the point is that it's such a fundamental function and would be so easy to implement - so the question is, why is it not there. When you consider how this is being pushed to business users and productivity software is being lauded, there are clearly going to be times when it is useful. I do use it on my Blackberry fairly frequently.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I wouldn't use it very often but when I need it, it's hard to work around. Either I have to keep two web pages open which the iPhone has a trouble doing or I have to back and forth between Safari and Mail to memorize and type information.
It's such a simple feature that needs to be addressed.

They also need to find at least one flaw with the iPhone.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Ahh, so it's the blackberry users that miss copy/paste?

I think it would be a nice addition to have - but really not a big deal for me - this may be because it's a productivity tool and I'm not very productive

Of course I suppose I might be more productive if I had this tool - I wonder if I can blame Apple for affecting my productivity in my next company appraisal...
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Ahh, so it's the blackberry users that miss copy/paste?

I think it would be a nice addition to have - but really not a big deal for me - this may be because it's a productivity tool and I'm not very productive

Of course I suppose I might be more productive if I had this tool - I wonder if I can blame Apple for affecting my productivity in my next company appraisal...
Nice - but all joking aside, it's just a very simple feature that's easy to pick on if you're that way inclined. You have to consider that Apple is actually going after Blackberry users. I implement new technology as part of my job, I am a project manager in a large bank, and I can tell you that the most basic functions that are overlooked, are often the ones that prevent user sign-off. It's a painful lesson to learn.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Coincidentally, the time when it's probably most useful is for links on forums. A LOT of people don't turn things into hyperlinks, for one reason or another, and when it's an especially long link, or if it's got a lot of numbers in it, it would get painful after awhile to have to enter it. Frankly it's the feature I want the most, partly because it'd be so easy to implement but mostly because it gets us one more step closer to being able to use the iPhone as a laptop. What'd be the REAL kicker is if they'd allow us to use an outboard Bluetooth keyboard. That'd be KILLER for class notes and the like.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Skype on the iTouch? | iPhone hardware issues »