New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Headphones recommendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

I tried searching for this so sorry if there's already a thread about this somewhere.

I'm looking for some new headphones for my first gen iPhone because they're falling apart. I've loved the ability to make calls with them using the microphone but they just simply suck because the cord actually tore at the place where the wire spilts to both ears. I am not willing to pay $30 for a new pair because they are simply not worth that.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a nice pair of earphones that still has a mic for a generation 1 iPhone? Price is not that much of an issue for me, I don't really care about sound quality either (though better than the apple ones would be nice). Just looking around to see what other people use, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
skyykj

skyykj is on a distinguished road

I have heard that Bang and Olufsen's Earset 3 has really nice audio quality.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

You can buy OEM iphone earbuds with the mic on ebay for less than $20.00.I have seen them as cheap as $12.00
QUOTE Thanks
hugo14

hugo14 is on a distinguished road

Even though they dont have a microphone, the Bose In ear headphones are incredible - the black and white version fits in the iphone without an adapter, and they are the most comfortable and highest quality headphones I have ever had.
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo14 View Post
Even though they dont have a microphone, the Bose In ear headphones are incredible - the black and white version fits in the iphone without an adapter, and they are the most comfortable and highest quality headphones I have ever had.
I've heard the same thing, I almost bought a set yesterday. Now your making me think about it again.
QUOTE Thanks
hugo14

hugo14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
I've heard the same thing, I almost bought a set yesterday. Now your making me think about it again.
Go for it - you will not regret it. Just make sure you get the black and white version - they have been updated so the buds dont fall off as they used to, and the headphone jack fits in the iphone...
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

you can't just go by the black and white old and new look the sames except the plug. The new version comes with a pleather case that folds in half and zips shut. The older version comes with a hard case. The new version has the plug for 1st gen iphones and has an updated silicon earpiece. I agree these are the greatest headphones i've ever had, but they are not perfect. Volume does not go as loud as some headphones, and they are not good for sports. I bought the sennheiser PMX70 for the gym and running. The PMX70 don't come close to the bose for sound or comfort, but they stay put when running.

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Please, please, please, don't ever buy a Bose product. They may sound great compared to the basic Apple branded stuff and the usual garbage you can find at most retail stores, but there are a million products that cost less and sound a hundred times better. Bose spends nearly ALL of its money in its marketing, convincing you it's all about the research. Don't fall into their trap.

Honestly, if you demand a microphone, there aren't a lot of options. Bang and Olufsen makes decent products, but you're paying a LOT more for the design than the functionality or sound quality. I'd highly recommend the Ultimate Ears super.fi 4vi if you insist on this functionality. They're a bit cheaper than the B&O, but UE is a highly regarded Headphone company that does nothing else.

Personally, though you'd probably loathe to have two devices, I'd get a separate Bluetooth headset and headphone pair. Koss makes an absolutely outstanding, wonderful pair of headphones called the KSC75 you can get very cheap online, and decently cheap ($25 or less) at Radioshack. I wouldn't get most of their other stuff, but that particular pair (along with its predecessors the KSC35 and the PortaPro) is wonderful. If you want in-ear monitors (sound isolating, block a lot of noise), I'd go for either the Altec Lansing iM716 or the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.3. And there's any of a number of decent Bluetooth headsets out there, like the Jawbone.

Again, though, if you must have a direct replacement, go for the super.fi 4vi .

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
greggles

greggles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb

I'd strongly recommend the Sennheiser MM50 iP, which are specifically designed for the iPhone with a built in mic and a plug that actually fits the iPhones recessed socket (on the non-3G model).

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm_senncom.nsf/resources/FCS_MM50_iP.pdf/$File/FCS_MM50_iP.pdf

Sounds pretty good too!
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Well I went out and bought the Bose, and must say they are pretty **** awesome. The trick is playing around with the different sizes of silicon ear pieces for a precise fit. The sound is very rich and all outside noise was cancelled. The quality of the sound is good enough to turn up full blast without any discomfort, which is why one of the posters thinks they dont turn up high enough. I thought the same until I did a little test. I turned everything off, came back after a few minutes (without adjusting the volume) and started the same song. When I did that...I was like "holy $@&t that is loud"!!! Anyway, just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Quote:
Well I went out and bought the Bose, and must say they are pretty **** awesome. The trick is playing around with the different sizes of silicon ear pieces for a precise fit. The sound is very rich and all outside noise was cancelled. The quality of the sound is good enough to turn up full blast without any discomfort, which is why one of the posters thinks they dont turn up high enough. I thought the same until I did a little test. I turned everything off, came back after a few minutes (without adjusting the volume) and started the same song. When I did that...I was like "holy $@&t that is loud"!!! Anyway, just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone

Another one bites the dust.

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Let's not be too hard on Bose. People tend to lump Apple in with companies like Bose and Monster that sell overpriced stuff via marketing hype.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Well, I like them. I might go get those cheap Koss phones your talking about and mod them to the Apple harness just for kicks.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Quote:
Well, I like them. I might go get those cheap Koss phones your talking about and mod them to the Apple harness just for kicks.
The KSC75 are all kinds of awesome, especially at their price. You won't regret it.

As for Dimitri, the reason I'm hard on Bose is not a matter of price, but quality. There are thousand dollar headphones that I think justify their prices, at least far more than Bose. Apple actually offers a demonstratively superior product for its premium. Bose offers an inferior one, and it bothers me because it prevents truly excellent companies from succeeding. It's just so damging to both the consumer AND manufacturers.

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I don't feel Bose is inferior, just overpriced. If their stuff was priced about 50-60% lower, I think it would fall in line with other offerings.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Next Batch of iPhones for sale? | no multimedia messaging on iphone? »