New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Dropped my iPhone!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NickRubino

NickRubino is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I dropped my iPhone yesterday and everything seems to be working OK, but there is one physical defect. (Shown in pics) The silver part seems to have bent where it meet the black part of the batt. (Shown below). Is there anything I can do? Does the Apple Care & Protection Plan cover something like this? Can they replace that piece?

Below: The silver piece that acts as the back, has bent. It may be tough to see, but I think you get the point

The iPhone still works fine, just the silver part doesn't sit flush and sticks out a little bit, but I am OCD about my iPhone. Anything I can do ?

8GB iPhone 3G

iBook G4 - 14'', 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

dont try to touch it and you'll forget about it

i havent even dropped mine and my sides dont sit flush. the metal is alot higher than the plastic. i dont really care that much about it
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Haha, Im too anal! HELP!

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I can tell you for certain that Apple won't fix it under warranty since it suffered damage as a result of being dropped. You would have to pay to get it fixed, either from Apple or a third party.

You could try hammering it back in with a tiny hammer

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Haha. I guess ill just leave it how it is...

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

you can look at it as a battle scar. it seems more badass.
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

ok this may begoi g off topic, but since battle scars were mentioned. What exactly does the Apple care plan actually cover. Everytime I hear something about it w/e is wrong never gets covered...?

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It only covers manufacturing defects. If the screen stops working for no reason or if the speakers cut out, stuff that stopped working even though you took perfectly good care of it, all of that is covered. If you drop it on pavement or in water, that's user damage and isn't covered.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Same thing happened to me but it was a scratch/dent on the back. I'm really anal about it too so I a bought a cover to protect and hide the scratch.
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Haha yeah I no longer use my Incase protective case. I like the phone without a case on it, but I guess having the case on would've prevented this, but oh well. Thanks for clearing up the Apple Care plane, basically they are a waste of money.

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
barney9304@hotm

barney9304@hotm is on a distinguished road

Think yourself lucky, I dropped mine a few days ago and smashed the screen to pieces. Apple can't do anything and the repair is twice the price of a 3g, so its the 3g for me on July 11.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'd get my iPhone insured, if only in case it got stolen. Of all the phones that are most likely to be nicked, I think the iPhone is top!

My iPod Touch rarely leaves the house.
QUOTE Thanks
Dec540

Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

incase.. just in case you drop it.. bugger you didn't have it on
QUOTE Thanks
RSum

RSum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13.3 White - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD

that's why they invented cases.

Proud Macbook owner since August 12th, 2008.
Macbook 2.4 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD, SuperDrive
Apple iPhone 3G 16 GB
iPod Shuffle 1 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Mine has a slight dent just above the ringer switch and the top right of the metal back sticks out just ever so slightly where I dropped it.

After freaking out about it for a day or two, I just got used to it. It is a phone after all, so a few signs of use are to be expected.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how can i sync my music from my iphone to a new MacBook | iphone help will not connect to computer or make calls »