New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Anyway to get 3G without signing contract?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Haaru

Haaru is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to get a 3G when it comes out but I don't want to sign with AT&T. Speculation says they wont let you leave the store without signing up with them, so would there be anyway to not signup? I'd just like to jailbreak it and run it on Verizon.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

For starters, even if you managed to get your hands on a 3G iPhone, you would be physically incapable of using it on Verizon's network. AT&T uses something called GSM whereas Verizon uses CDMA. These are inherently incompatible networks, so you can't take phones that work on one service and use it on the other.

In the US, the only provider you would be able to use an unlocked iPhone on would be TMobile, which is actually a step down from AT&T.

Oh, and eBay is the answer you're looking for.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

Easy way to get the new iphone with no contract:

1) Get 100 ($200) cash
2) Go to apple/02/ATT store
3) Say 'can i have an iphone'
4) Grab it off guy
5) Slam money Down
6) Leg it! (run)

its a thought, itd be funny to try!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Two flaws in your plan. One, you can only buy an iPhone with a credit card. Two, you didn't factor in the tax.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

That's a point. This is probably the first time in history we're getting an Apple product cheaper than you guys.

£99 (including all taxes)
18 months @ £30 (including unlimited data & nationwide wi-fi points)

So it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to run (unless you make a lot of calls; I'm betting call prices here are about 3x what they are stateside). The cheapest (or maybe £35) plan would do for me though.

And it's available on pre-pay (no word yet as to handset price, but my bet is about £275-£330).

Serves you right for complaining about your 53p a litre petrol. Petrol hasn't been that cheap here in 18 years.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Two flaws in your plan. One, you can only buy an iPhone with a credit card. Two, you didn't factor in the tax.

I don't think it matters if you pay with cash if you do a runner.

I didn't know that it was $199 excluding tax...unlucky.
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Serves you right for complaining about your 53p a litre petrol. Petrol hasn't been that cheap here in 18 years.

But you guys don't have nearly the distances that we drive over here. I mean all of GB is the size of our New England.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3GZW View Post
But you guys don't have nearly the distances that we drive over here. I mean all of GB is the size of our New England.
It's not as if people have to drive any more though is it? It's not like you have to drive 200 miles to get to the nearest supermarket.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It's not as if people have to drive any more though is it? It's not like you have to drive 200 miles to get to the nearest supermarket.
Your supermarket may be down the block. It's driving distance for us here. Those small 2-5 mile trips add up.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Short of running out of the store with, I highly doubt you will be able to buy one without signing the contract. You could break the contract and pay the early termination fee.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Yes, buy the phone and sign up then when they say you are good to go look at them and tell them you would now like to cancel your service and pay the early termination fee (something like $175).
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Uh, it wouldn't work that way. I would suspect they will hold you to the 14 day policy so you'll at least be paying for the first month of service as well.

QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

"Uh it won't work that way" he says with certainty. "I suspect" he follows up with. I see. Which is it. Are you sure or not?

Even if you do pay for the first month just sign up for the minimal package and no data plan (you don't actually have to have the data plan). And you will end up paying something like $40.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Nobody likes a smart mouth.

QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
"Uh it won't work that way" he says with certainty. "I suspect" he follows up with. I see. Which is it. Are you sure or not?

Even if you do pay for the first month just sign up for the minimal package and no data plan (you don't actually have to have the data plan). And you will end up paying something like $40.

iPhones require the data plan. No way around it.

you would be looking at these cost to cancel your contract. Plus they could make you give the phone back.

$199 for the phone
$69 + tax, charges and other junk for first months usage
$175 cancellation fee

this comes out to $443, then you need to add tax onto the cost of the phone and your bill. also depending on when you cancel your plan you may have to pay a prorated cost for the next month.

http://gizmodo.com/5015540/iphone-3g...price-compared
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone needs to be replaced should If I wait until the 11th think I can get a 3G | can you hear me now or more bars in more places »