New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - why not sell it unlocked?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rothko

rothko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD

Why doesn't Apple sell the iPhone unlocked and let the user choose the service provider? I bet they would sell way more iPhones if they did this. As a former iPhone owner myself, I like the iPhone but dislike AT&T. Especially that annoying buzz their 800MHz frequency does to computer speakers
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Do a simple Google search. There are millions of reasons why they are strictly AT&T in the USA.
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

there is an exclusive 5 year agreement between apple and AT&T. AT&T gets the customers for the 2 year contract and Apple gets a percentage of active iPhone's on AT&Ts network.

Apple s is hte ones calling most of the shots and AT&T had to put the 5 year exclusive agreement in place or they would not really benefit from it either.

Take your iPhone to use on T-mobile and apple only gets money from the sale of the phone and not the extra revenue from the percentage of each monthly contract (10 to 20%).

So basically Apple would really not benefit all that much if they unlocked it for all GSM carriers (CDMA wont come for some time). Unless they strong armed the other carriers in to a percentage of monthly bills for active iPhones on their network.

Some people need to understand its a business and its all about money and profit, not what we want as a customer, if they actually cared about us their prices would be much lower
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

There is a possibilty that when the new iPhone is released it may be sold unlocked.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

^^^ only in France where they have laws again exclusivity to carriers. But in the US they are stuck in the Contract with AT&T for 4 more years.... which bites.
QUOTE Thanks
rothko

rothko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD

Will these French iPhones work with US carriers?
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Actually this may come to pass: the Supreme Court today ruled in a fashion that hits the cell phone companies regarding this very matter. If I understand their ruling correctly, after a person completes their contract the company has no choice but to unlock (any) phone if that person desires to go to another provider. I think it is a great ruling.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothko View Post
Will these French iPhones work with US carriers?
Even if they did, it would be a lot easier to buy a iPhone in the US and just unlock it yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
Actually this may come to pass: the Supreme Court today ruled in a fashion that hits the cell phone companies regarding this very matter. If I understand their ruling correctly, after a person completes their contract the company has no choice but to unlock (any) phone if that person desires to go to another provider. I think it is a great ruling.
So now AT&T will simply go to longer plan requirements for iPhones, maybe with the ability to upgrade to a new iPhone at a certain point. The ruling is not likely to change much as the average life of of a daily cell phone is just about the length of the contract. The ruling also ignores the fact that there are different technologies out there that are simply incompatible between the cell companies networks. I may want to to take my Treo 700P CDMA phone from Verizon to AT&T, but it's not going to happen. I suspect many consumers are not even aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Even if they did, it would be a lot easier to buy a iPhone in the US and just unlock it yourself.
Probably, especially if there is a chance you are going to "brick" it along the way.

QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

with the different cell tower technology even if a iphone is unlocked it will only work with cell companies that support the gsm technology. i believe at&t and t-mobile (maybe altel not sure) are the only ones in the states who uses gsm.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity1082 View Post
i believe at&t and t-mobile (maybe altel not sure) are the only ones in the states who uses gsm.
Alltel is CDMA.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yep, AT&T and T-Mobile are your only GSM options in the US, and frankly, I'd rather stick with AT&T.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cjvdh

cjvdh is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook || 8GB iPhone

Whats so hard about buying an iPhone and unlocking it ?

Trust Me You've Heard About Me"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best phone to sync to Office 2008 | 3G iPhone Colors Choices »