New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Anybody heard about iPhone adding Sprint?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iLuvPrettyPinkPonies2

iLuvPrettyPinkPonies2 is on a distinguished road

Hi I heard a rumor from my cousin that Apple was going to add Verizon and Sprint to its service list...

Anybody else heard this?

I have a contract with Sprint I don't want to break but I really want an iPhone.

Thanks,
Jerod
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Not bloody likely. Apple reportedly has a 5-year exclusive contract with AT&T, and they aren't even a year into it. Besides, their phone isn't even compatible with Sprint's or Verizon's networks. Verizon and Sprint are in denial anyways... having rolled or about to roll out phones that they have labeled "iPhone killers." What a hoot!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

lifeisabeach is correct, only way Verizon and Sprint are going to see the iPhone is in four years.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkassjerod View Post
Hi I heard a rumor from my cousin that Apple was going to add Verizon and Sprint to its service list...

Anybody else heard this?

I have a contract with Sprint I don't want to break but I really want an iPhone.

Thanks,
Jerod
I know how you feel! I am just waiting for my Sprint contact to expire so I can switch over to an iPhone. Only consolation I have is that by the time I do switch over the iPhone will be much improved. I understand I have features on my Palm Centro that are not available on the iPhone........yet.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

If you guys can't wait for the iPhone, check out the next best thing (or better in some ways) on your current network

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Or better in some ways
Gizmodo doesn't agree:

Quote:
[...]Plus, it locked up when I was messing around with the music store, and needed a hard reset for the more money shot voice command features, which still didn't quite work (or finding a McDonald's is just too much). And the web browser doesn't, um, touch mobile Safari, at least not in its present state.

There's no accelerometer and website viewing is landscape only (conversely, navigation is portrait only). No pinching or pulling, either, you tap a zoom button multiple times to get the level you want. Bleh. It tries to make up for being less dynamic with a mode that lets you pan through a site by moving the phone around, using the camera as the sensor. But, it didn't quite work, at least not for Giz, which loaded painfully slow, despite the 3G connection.
I really doubt Apple with ever do a CDMA phone since the vast majority rest of the world uses GSM. Your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or AT & T) and work out your options from there...
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

Originally Apple and Verizon were going to roll out the iphone, but Verizon changed their mind and did not want to give in to the outrageous demands apple wanted in the contract.

google is your friend
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Gizmodo doesn't agree:

I really doubt Apple with ever do a CDMA phone since the vast majority rest of the world uses GSM. Your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or AT & T) and work out your options from there...
QUOTE Thanks
john.mac67

john.mac67 is on a distinguished road

man...I would REALLY like a verizon wireless iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by james515
Originally Apple and Verizon were going to roll out the iphone
They were in talks, but I'm guessing Apple approached all the carriers. Verizon were just the only ones shooting their mouthes off about it.

Quote:
the outrageous demands apple wanted
Like maybe 50% more revenue from the contract due to the fact that they would have to build, test and support two separate hardware versions of the phone.

It might also have just been Apple putting pressure on AT&T.

Quote:
google is your friend
No need to get snarky there, son.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Gizmodo doesn't agree:

Well you have to understand that it isn't the final product of that phone either. They still have a couple months to work out the bugs. When I said better in some ways I only meant some ways and not all, and I was referring to a faster network connection and GPS capability.

I agree that Apple probably won't make a CDMA version, but it's not completely unrealistic. If CDMA is still being widely used by Verizon and Sprint in a couple years, surely it will be a big enough base of potential customers to make a CDMA iPhone profitable.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

In the end, it is pretty simple. The iPhone we have today uses GSM technology. The only two carriers in the States who use this technology are AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint definitely does not. It uses CDMA. Hence, today's iPhone cannot be offered on Sprint.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
djdasanga

djdasanga is on a distinguished road

I have a question, I have been told that an unlocked iPhone cant be used with Sprint....BUT....what if u have a SIMcard....will it be able to work ? bc I was told that an unlocked iphone only works with phones that use SIMcards...

Thx 4 The Advice
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdasanga View Post
I have a question, I have been told that an unlocked iPhone cant be used with Sprint....BUT....what if u have a SIMcard....will it be able to work ? bc I was told that an unlocked iphone only works with phones that use SIMcards...

Thx 4 The Advice
No.

As mac57 stated, iPhone is a GSM phone and Sprint is a CDMA carrier.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I heard this rumor resurface recently. People think the iPhone is coming for Verizon within a year. Rumors are silly things

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« maps app keeps crashing | iPod transmitter for vehicle »