Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPhone Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/iphone-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Anybody heard about iPhone adding Sprint? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/iphone-hardware-accessories/103803-anybody-heard-about-iphone-adding-sprint.html)

iLuvPrettyPinkPonies2 04-06-2008 08:02 PM

Anybody heard about iPhone adding Sprint?
 
Hi I heard a rumor from my cousin that Apple was going to add Verizon and Sprint to its service list...

Anybody else heard this?

I have a contract with Sprint I don't want to break but I really want an iPhone.

Thanks,
Jerod

Lifeisabeach 04-06-2008 09:01 PM

Not bloody likely. Apple reportedly has a 5-year exclusive contract with AT&T, and they aren't even a year into it. Besides, their phone isn't even compatible with Sprint's or Verizon's networks. Verizon and Sprint are in denial anyways... having rolled or about to roll out phones that they have labeled "iPhone killers." What a hoot!

Kash 04-06-2008 09:05 PM

lifeisabeach is correct, only way Verizon and Sprint are going to see the iPhone is in four years.

PapaNoHair 04-06-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkassjerod (Post 629990)
Hi I heard a rumor from my cousin that Apple was going to add Verizon and Sprint to its service list...

Anybody else heard this?

I have a contract with Sprint I don't want to break but I really want an iPhone.

Thanks,
Jerod

I know how you feel! I am just waiting for my Sprint contact to expire so I can switch over to an iPhone. Only consolation I have is that by the time I do switch over the iPhone will be much improved. I understand I have features on my Palm Centro that are not available on the iPhone........yet.

fleurya 04-07-2008 05:58 AM

If you guys can't wait for the iPhone, check out the next best thing (or better in some ways) on your current network

Aptmunich 04-07-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Or better in some ways
Gizmodo doesn't agree:

Quote:

[...]Plus, it locked up when I was messing around with the music store, and needed a hard reset for the more money shot voice command features, which still didn't quite work (or finding a McDonald's is just too much). And the web browser doesn't, um, touch mobile Safari, at least not in its present state.

There's no accelerometer and website viewing is landscape only (conversely, navigation is portrait only). No pinching or pulling, either, you tap a zoom button multiple times to get the level you want. Bleh. It tries to make up for being less dynamic with a mode that lets you pan through a site by moving the phone around, using the camera as the sensor. But, it didn't quite work, at least not for Giz, which loaded painfully slow, despite the 3G connection.
I really doubt Apple with ever do a CDMA phone since the vast majority rest of the world uses GSM. Your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or AT & T) and work out your options from there...

james515 04-07-2008 10:44 PM

Originally Apple and Verizon were going to roll out the iphone, but Verizon changed their mind and did not want to give in to the outrageous demands apple wanted in the contract.

google is your friend
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptmunich (Post 630319)
Gizmodo doesn't agree:



I really doubt Apple with ever do a CDMA phone since the vast majority rest of the world uses GSM. Your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or AT & T) and work out your options from there...


john.mac67 04-07-2008 11:14 PM

man...I would REALLY like a verizon wireless iPhone

Aptmunich 04-08-2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james515
Originally Apple and Verizon were going to roll out the iphone

They were in talks, but I'm guessing Apple approached all the carriers. Verizon were just the only ones shooting their mouthes off about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james515
the outrageous demands apple wanted

Like maybe 50% more revenue from the contract due to the fact that they would have to build, test and support two separate hardware versions of the phone.

It might also have just been Apple putting pressure on AT&T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james515
google is your friend

No need to get snarky there, son.

fleurya 04-08-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptmunich (Post 630319)
Gizmodo doesn't agree:

I really doubt Apple with ever do a CDMA phone since the vast majority rest of the world uses GSM. Your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or AT & T) and work out your options from there...

Well you have to understand that it isn't the final product of that phone either. They still have a couple months to work out the bugs. When I said better in some ways I only meant some ways and not all, and I was referring to a faster network connection and GPS capability.

I agree that Apple probably won't make a CDMA version, but it's not completely unrealistic. If CDMA is still being widely used by Verizon and Sprint in a couple years, surely it will be a big enough base of potential customers to make a CDMA iPhone profitable.

mac57 04-08-2008 01:28 PM

In the end, it is pretty simple. The iPhone we have today uses GSM technology. The only two carriers in the States who use this technology are AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint definitely does not. It uses CDMA. Hence, today's iPhone cannot be offered on Sprint.

djdasanga 11-02-2008 06:10 PM

I have a question, I have been told that an unlocked iPhone cant be used with Sprint....BUT....what if u have a SIMcard....will it be able to work ? bc I was told that an unlocked iphone only works with phones that use SIMcards...

Thx 4 The Advice

Eric559 11-02-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdasanga (Post 750392)
I have a question, I have been told that an unlocked iPhone cant be used with Sprint....BUT....what if u have a SIMcard....will it be able to work ? bc I was told that an unlocked iphone only works with phones that use SIMcards...

Thx 4 The Advice

No.

As mac57 stated, iPhone is a GSM phone and Sprint is a CDMA carrier.

Kash 11-02-2008 06:20 PM

I heard this rumor resurface recently. People think the iPhone is coming for Verizon within a year. Rumors are silly things


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.