New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Internet connection on iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imme

imme is on a distinguished road

Just a few questions to help me decide if i should buy an iPhone or not.

What do you think of web browsing/internet usage with NO wifi connection?

Which do you use most for internet/browsing connectivity, normal or wifi?
How often do you use, find or connect to a wifi spot on your iphone?
Do you bother browsing the internet with no Wifi Connection?
Is web browsing painfull with no Wifi?
How is email when your not using wifi?

In the uk, Do you find and connect to many open public Wifi spots, or do you find they are difficult to find and you dont use many?
QUOTE Thanks
Thunder82

Thunder82 is on a distinguished road

I browse the web all the time on my iphone, and the edge/gsm network is slow, but not unbearable. I connect to a wifi spot when available, and use edge the rest of the time. Email is great on Edge, not far different than being connected via Wifi.

I might wait a few months for the 3G iphone at this point, obviously that will be quick a bit quicker data wise.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

I'm in the US, so ymmv (your mileage may vary).

What do you think of web browsing/internet usage with NO wifi connection?
It's fine. EDGE is stable and reliable, and gives me a good enough connection if I need or want to check something.

Which do you use most for internet/browsing connectivity, normal or wifi?
If I'm in a wifi zone, it's wifi. If I'm not, I turn off wifi and connect exclusively with EDGE. Turning off wifi ensures the iPhone doesn't go looking for a wifi connection, which takes time.

How often do you use, find or connect to a wifi spot on your iphone?
I have it at work and at home, and in one of the local malls (with an Apple Store and a public wifi zone around the food court). In those locations I use wifi.

Do you bother browsing the internet with no Wifi Connection?
Sure. It's okay. While not fast, it's tolerable if you need or want to check something.

Is web browsing painfull with no Wifi?
No.

How is email when your not using wifi?
I have both gmail (web) and mac mail (mail icon). Both work just fine w/o wifi.

In the uk, Do you find and connect to many open public Wifi spots, or do you find they are difficult to find and you dont use many?
Sorry, I'm in the US. Can't help you on this one.

Hope this helps!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think it's important here to note that O2 in the UK does not have EDGE coverage everywhere yet, so you might be using GPRS a fair bit instead, which is slower. But you do also get access to the Cloud Wifi network, so in a lot of urban / shopping areas finding an access point shouldn't be too hard.

Having said that, even when using the iPhone on my carrier (no EDGE at all), the speed isn't that bad if you know how to use it:

I tend to use it mostly either on iPhone optimized websites (Facebook mobile etc.) or I read blogs using Google reader's iPhone optimized version: Google reformats everything and the feeds load really quickly, even whilst on GPRS.

So personally I think it's great. Sure Wifi is snappier for "large" websites, but when I'm on the go I usually tend to access "lighter" content anyway.

Email is great with both services, except if you get a lot of huge attachments.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Breaking News: Apple presents 3G iPhone at CTIA! | Can iPhone be used w/o contract »