New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - WiFi connected to router, but not to internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theponcacitykid

theponcacitykid is on a distinguished road

I am hoping that one of you can help me out. Every time I try to use Wifi at home, the iphone connects to the network but I get a message that says "safari can't open the page because it can't find the server." I know that my wifi and cable internet connection are both working because I have two other computers that work fine. I am also able to use my iphone to log in to my router. Everything is correct for the IP, subnet, router, and dns.

Here's the confusing part to me: the Wifi will work normally when I connect to a hotel network by going the firewall/login screens that they put up for their guests to login through.

Restarts and restores do not solve this problem at all. Any ideas that could help? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theponcacitykid View Post
I am hoping that one of you can help me out. Every time I try to use Wifi at home, the iphone connects to the network but I get a message that says "safari can't open the page because it can't find the server." I know that my wifi and cable internet connection are both working because I have two other computers that work fine. I am also able to use my iphone to log in to my router. Everything is correct for the IP, subnet, router, and dns.

Here's the confusing part to me: the Wifi will work normally when I connect to a hotel network by going the firewall/login screens that they put up for their guests to login through.

Restarts and restores do not solve this problem at all. Any ideas that could help? Thanks!
I am having the exact same problem. I'm using a white 3G. It worked great for a while and then just stopped on day. My girlfriend and her brother are experiencing the same thing on their and my network. Does anyone know anything?

One does what one can... but together we can do more.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

I found a solution!!

Yep, that solved my problem too. So a precise walkthrough for the solution:

1) Go to settings, Wi-Fi, choose the network and hit the blue button. Touch "Forget this network" and confirm.
2) Now go back into Wi-Fi settings, choose the network again and join it.
3) Now hit the blue button and go down to the DNS line. Select the line and drag your finger to the left until you find the first DNS entry (entries are separated by commas). In my case, for instance, the first entry was 192.168.1.99--a local address on my network.
4) Use the backspace button to delete the first DNS entry.
5) Touch "Wi-Fi Networks" to go back.
6) Open safari and try visiting a site by URL: www.apple.com for example.

This worked for both my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch. There was no need to reboot the router, reset my network settings, or anything like that--just follow the steps above.

Incidentally, the DNS address I had to delete--192.168.1.99--was actually a static address on my network that I had allocated to my printer. So it was a very bad guess on the iPhone/iPod Touch's part as to where the local DNS server would be. But someone else's comment rings true, that the bug seems to be in the iPhone OS and has to do with falling back to the next DNS address if the first one fails--or falling back in a timely manner.

Yeah, you're welcome, Apple engineers. We're happy to do your work for you and pay for it too!

QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
I found a solution!!

Yep, that solved my problem too. So a precise walkthrough for the solution:

1) Go to settings, Wi-Fi, choose the network and hit the blue button. Touch "Forget this network" and confirm.
2) Now go back into Wi-Fi settings, choose the network again and join it.
3) Now hit the blue button and go down to the DNS line. Select the line and drag your finger to the left until you find the first DNS entry (entries are separated by commas). In my case, for instance, the first entry was 192.168.1.99--a local address on my network.
4) Use the backspace button to delete the first DNS entry.
5) Touch "Wi-Fi Networks" to go back.
6) Open safari and try visiting a site by URL: www.apple.com for example.

This worked for both my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch. There was no need to reboot the router, reset my network settings, or anything like that--just follow the steps above.

Incidentally, the DNS address I had to delete--192.168.1.99--was actually a static address on my network that I had allocated to my printer. So it was a very bad guess on the iPhone/iPod Touch's part as to where the local DNS server would be. But someone else's comment rings true, that the bug seems to be in the iPhone OS and has to do with falling back to the next DNS address if the first one fails--or falling back in a timely manner.

Yeah, you're welcome, Apple engineers. We're happy to do your work for you and pay for it too!
That doesn't make any sense, your DNS server address is given to your by your DHCP server AKA your router, and is your router would also be your internal DNS server which forward its requests to the one it obtained from your ISPs DHCP server. Somehow you must have manually put in a DNS server address.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Actually no... I never even went into the wifi settings until just then. My first DNS address wasn't actually my router, it seems it was just a random jumble of numbers... but yeah... weird how all of my friends who own an iPhone somehow put in their DNS addresses manually... umm, no LOL.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

several of us at work use multiple wifi networks regularly and to be honest, this is the first instance of something like this I've heard.

What he's saying though is that your DCHP server sets the DNS servers.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

I knew that, but tons of my friends are having the same problem. and I know that they are not the kind of people to just go setting manual DNS servers in their phone. I can assure you that I never touched the DNS sever settings. And if you look through where I found that solution (in the Apple support forums, I'm sure you will see the many people with the same problem. A quote from the solution:
Quote:
But someone else's comment rings true, that the bug seems to be in the iPhone OS and has to do with falling back to the next DNS address if the first one fails--or falling back in a timely manner.
helps me out here because, yeah, there can be 2 DNS servers, but if one fails, then it needs to fall back to the second before the OS throws back errors.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've accessed probably 10 or 12 different wireless networks in the past month and had zero issues.

QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I've accessed probably 10 or 12 different wireless networks in the past month and had zero issues.
Me too... It only happened at my house on my Home network. The only thing that is on my home network: 1 Desktop, 2 Laptops, a wireless printer, and my iPhone and occasionally another iPhone and Laptop.

My Girlfriend, and her brother had the same issue at her house, and I told her about this solution, and bam, it fixed it. Trust me, it's nothing that we are doing, because she didn't even know that you could check your IP address by hitting the blue arrow next to the network you are connected to...

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I may not be seeing it since I have an Airport Extreme at home. I have 5 Macs, 1 PC and my iPhone (printer is hooked up to an Airport Express) on it.

QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I may not be seeing it since I have an Airport Extreme at home. I have 5 Macs, 1 PC and my iPhone (printer is hooked up to an Airport Express) on it.
Now that you say that, it may be related to the type of router. I drive a linksys WRT54G, and my girlfriend drives a linksys N router... so it could be related to linksys too... interesting.

QUOTE Thanks
quincycat

quincycat is on a distinguished road

I am not that wifi-literate. But the solution above WORKED perfectly.

I had the exact same problem -- Linksys router with WEP security, everything else on the network working fine. iPod Touch could connect to the WIFI but would not connect to the internet (showed WIFI connected in settings, but browser would not get online).

Followed the instructions above on this thread and it nailed it -- works fine now.

THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincycat View Post
I am not that wifi-literate. But the solution above WORKED perfectly.

I had the exact same problem -- Linksys router with WEP security, everything else on the network working fine. iPod Touch could connect to the WIFI but would not connect to the internet (showed WIFI connected in settings, but browser would not get online).

Followed the instructions above on this thread and it nailed it -- works fine now.

THANKS!
Awesome! Glad it worked for you. I'm pretty sure that the fallback issue was addressed with the new 2.1 iPhone firmware.

QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
Now that you say that, it may be related to the type of router. I drive a linksys WRT54G, and my girlfriend drives a linksys N router... so it could be related to linksys too... interesting.
Sounds more like its related to a bug in the firmware of the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
AlaskaLiz

AlaskaLiz is on a distinguished road

Yay! I don't know why it worked, but it did. I ran through Apple's protocol to fix it and nothing happened. I had just one DNS listed, so I deleted it. It came back. Deleted again, and this time a typed in one from my MacBook that was connected to the network. It worked! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 3G Jailbreak problems | iPhone 4S 32G only $ 52.89? »