New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - I want an iPhone, but...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

I want it to have mms. 3G would be nice, everything everyone mentioned would be nice, but the one missing feature that begs the question why is mms. Why can't the iphone have mms, its just software, every cellphone with a camera has it... I just don't understand...
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Things like MMS and such are mere software updates. At first you couldn't send SMS to multiple receipients. Now you can. Why Apple hasn't done this? Who knows. Maybe they think email on the go is enough (which is fine by me at least. It's free after all). Maybe they are developing the app (apple-style). Maybe I'm just another idiot who knows not what Apple has in store for us...
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I think someone will develop an MMS application since the iPhone SDK was just released, I think we'll see several 3rd party MMS applications. Let's hope I don't think it'll be too hard for someone to do it.

QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Can the SDK be used to send data over the cell network?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There is already a third party MMS application for the iPhone, you just need to jailbreak your phone to get it.

As for third party apps accessing the cell phone network, I definitely think it's possible since you need it for apps like AIM.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

or couldn't apps like aim be restricted to wifi like the itunes wifi music store is? On that note, why cant you download movies directly to your phone? And why can't you download songs from the cell network?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

I think the better question is why would you want to download songs off the EDGE network?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

According to the user interface and application guidelines inside the iPhone SDK, 3rd party applications will be allowed to access the cellular and WiFi networks, though "data hog" applications will be blocked. The only data-restricted application that Apple has specifically blocked so far is VOIP over the EDGE network (which would be painful anyway).

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I think the better question is why would you want to download songs off the EDGE network?
Is EDGE really as bad as people say it is? I keep hearing conflicting reports, some people say it sucks, others say it's decently fast. For simple web browsing (like say, checking up on pages like this one) is EDGE enough or is it worth it to wait for 3G and possibly pay more/have a shorter battery life?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

It really depends upon location. I get some great speeds here in the Northeast, but when I was in Vegas and at my layovers in Wisconsin and Salt Lake City two months ago, it was absolutely horrendous. Then there are my cousins who have no trouble with it in California. I think the closer you are to a major metropolitan area the faster it is.

For me, it's definitely usable for browsing the web and using email. It's even good enough for Youtube if you're willing to wait just a bit more than usual.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Quote:
It really depends upon location. I get some great speeds here in the Northeast, but when I was in Vegas and at my layovers in Wisconsin and Salt Lake City two months ago, it was absolutely horrendous. Then there are my cousins who have no trouble with it in California. I think the closer you are to a major metropolitan area the faster it is.

For me, it's definitely usable for browsing the web and using email. It's even good enough for Youtube if you're willing to wait just a bit more than usual.
So, living in NYC, I should be fine?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

I think Apple has discouraged downloads over EDGE cause they don't want people hogging the network. How much can you surf? Not much. How much could you download? Especially if it's free? The data usage here is much much higher.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
I think Apple has discouraged downloads over EDGE cause they don't want people hogging the network. How much can you surf? Not much. How much could you download? Especially if it's free? The data usage here is much much higher.
the data usage is free, the music costs money. Plus Verizon is offering music downloads on their network...
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

Quote:

I agree. I bought my iPhone in Chicago and thought edge was just fine up there. I live in Peoria, 2.5 hours south of Chicago and Edge is horrendous. We don't have 3G here yet though, so it doesn't really matter.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

I know Data usage on the iPhone packages is free. And the music is charged for. But that data is free only cause most people aren't going to use it to download heavy stuff. Casual surfing is all it is meant for. Now if music downloads were allowed on EDGE, the usage would certainly go up and will take a toll on the network.

Not sure about Verizon and the others.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pluggin in car charger mutes output | iPhone Clamshell! »