New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

using an ipad to play home videos instead of a digital "photo" frame

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

Here's my situation. I'm currently trying to get my digital photo frame to play home videos and not dvd videos. These videos can come from my iphone 5, Canon S95, Canon SD550, Sony A7, or Canon HF M41. I know it's a whole bunch of different formats and the frames appear to only accept MPEG4 or AVI. I found this link https://support.nixplay.com/entries/...deo-Conversion that gives recommended instructions on converting files to a potentially usable format. I tried it it works on one frame that I have but it's an old frame and the video came out blotchy. I don't know if that is from the video itself or the material. Another frame I have, which is newer, didn't even display the video.

Is there an easier way to display my home videos through my ipad as if it were a digital "photo/video" frame? I have created some movies through iMovie and successfully loaded them to itunes and then shared them to the ipad but I guess the material will be limited to the size of the hard drive.

Is there a way to connect an external hard drive to an ipad so that I can load all of my home movies created from iMovies onto the hard drive and let the ipad run the videos from there?

Last edited by halfmonkey; 06-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You could connect a wireless hard drive directly or to Network Attached storage

An app like VLC or Infuse will let you play 99% of all video without conversion

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I have a App called Air Video HD on my iPad Mini, and with the Server on both my Macs, I can watch ANY video I want to. They are streamed from my iMac or MBP, and all I have to do is, open the Server on my Mac, open Air Video HD, and then add the folders I have movies in, to the App, and they are all accessible. You can either watch them on the fly, or convert them to watch on my iPad Mini at a later date. I now have access to 370 odd movies and 500+ TV shows.

I know VLC does the same job, but to be honest, in this instance, you get what you pay for, and I have had nothing but problems with the VLC App, hence me spending a few $ and buying something that I know that works. I use to use Air Video, but they updated it, and now bought the next version they bought out, the Air Video HD version which is so much better UI and so many great features, and worth every cent.

Im streaming from my iMac to the other end of the house, off a connected Ext HD, through a Airport Express as a WiFi Extender, and doesn't miss a beat.

Just read the reviews on the page

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point . . . I use StreamToMe for the same

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I have a App called Air Video HD on my iPad Mini, and with the Server on both my Macs, I can watch ANY video I want to. They are streamed from my iMac or MBP, and all I have to do is, open the Server on my Mac, open Air Video HD, and then add the folders I have movies in, to the App, and they are all accessible. You can either watch them on the fly, or convert them to watch on my iPad Mini at a later date. I now have access to 370 odd movies and 500+ TV shows.

I know VLC does the same job, but to be honest, in this instance, you get what you pay for, and I have had nothing but problems with the VLC App, hence me spending a few $ and buying something that I know that works. I use to use Air Video, but they updated it, and now bought the next version they bought out, the Air Video HD version which is so much better UI and so many great features, and worth every cent.

Im streaming from my iMac to the other end of the house, off a connected Ext HD, through a Airport Express as a WiFi Extender, and doesn't miss a beat.

Just read the reviews on the page
It sounds like Air Video HD is the same as what Home Sharing does. Am I wrong in thinking that? If so, can someone clarify what the difference is because I'm not seeing it.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Air video and StreamToMe will serve any kind of video from any location on your local disk, external disk or network storage. It doesn't need to be in iTunes or be in any particular format.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Air video and StreamToMe will serve any kind of video from any location on your local disk, external disk or network storage. It doesn't need to be in iTunes or be in any particular format.
This is correct. Home Sharing, when turned on only shares whats in iTunes to a Airplay compatible device, or your Apple TV, where as Air Video HD and SteamToMe, will grab any video from anywhere on your Local Network, as stated above.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard for IPad | Inverters mod vs pure sine for apple products? »