New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Lost letter as I was writing it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stjarna

Stjarna is on a distinguished road

Hi There,
Can someone tell me how to get a letter back that suddenly disappeared of my IPad retina screen as I touched the return bar
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As you type, the letter is saved in the "Drafts" folder. Unless you accidentally selected the text and then deleted it (the "delete" key being right above the return key), it should still be there as unsent.
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

Thank you Chas_m.

I have looked all over and even got my daughter to try to find it as she has the IPad air, it has just vaporized into thin air. Very upsetting as this was a large and complicated medical diagnostic.
Many thanks anyway.
Stjarna.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

A letter back from what application? It's very possible that the application that you're using has an autosave feature built-in.

Admin note: moved to iPad forum.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjarna View Post
Hi There,
Can someone tell me how to get a letter back that suddenly disappeared of my IPad retina screen as I touched the return bar
Hello - which app were you using for writing the letter & which iOS do you have installed - might be helpful? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

Hi Dave, Sorry am I am so blond �� I Don't even know what IOS is , but I was writing an email, a very complicated and long medical diagnostics , so was really peeved off when it disappeared , don't relish doing it all over again.

Something like this happened to me a year ago on my Mac laptop , while I was moving a letter to a folder, all my folders disappeared and have not been found so far even tho I took it to The Apple business Centre, they never found them either. They just evaporated into thin air in front of me, so did this letter.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Open your email account and see if there is a box entitled "Drafts".

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Hi Dave, Sorry am I am so blond �� I Don't even know what IOS is , but I was writing an email, a very complicated and long medical diagnostics , so was really peeved off when it disappeared , don't relish doing it all over again.......

Hi again, iOS is simply the 'Operating System' that is on your iPad - simply go to 'Settings' > 'General' > 'About'; half way down look for 'Version', the current one is 7.1.1. Still not sure in which app you were typing your letter, e.g. as an Email, in Notes, in Pages, or in another application on your device? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

My version on is 7.0.4 IPad Retina , I Was using the normal Email Google .com account.
Going into settings I saw that my Email address isn't on ICloud , thinking that my letter would be there somewhere ,so I did a ICloud one as well , but I am not sure if that helps in future if I am using a google account, I don't want to change my email address.
Stjarna.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah, so now we've established that you weren't using Mail. Are you using a web browser to access Gmail by chance?
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

I thought I was using mail or google .com for my mail, I will have to ask someone here the difference between Mail and my google.com address, will let you know tomorrow, thanks.
Stjarna.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
I thought I was using mail or google .com for my mail, I will have to ask someone here the difference between Mail and my google.com address, will let you know tomorrow, thanks.....
Hello again - the iPad has its own mail app called surprisingly Mail w/ an icon similar to the one attached; you need to setup an account(s) in the app. But as now suspected, you were likely in a web browser, such as Safari, and entered your Google account (Gmail) w/i the browser - correct? If so, then as has been already suggested, you'll have to login to that account and see if there is a 'Drafts' folder where your letter may be? Dave

Attached Images
File Type: png Mail_Icon-150x150.png (29.9 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

It could be that she IS using Mail, you can certainly add a Gmail account to Mail. One can also download and use the official Gmail app if one prefers, or as mentioned access it using Safari on the device.

We'll have to wait and see which one it turned out it was, but in the meantime checking the drafts folder on Gmail but using a Mac or PC to log into her Gmail account might turn up the missing letter to, it's worth checking on!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« error message sync iPad mini | How do you unzip files on an iPad Air »