Ipad 1st/2nd for College
    Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I would go for a third or fourth generation iPad instead. Faster processor and better ability to handle the latest version of iOS (7.1). While a 2nd generation iPad will work OK, a later model will last longer and would be better to run the latest apps.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    I agree completely with Chscag for the reasons he gave. I am right now stuck with an iPad one. Only IOS 5 will run which limits many things including so many new apps will not install or run.

So for sure don't get an iPad One and if I were you I would skip the 2nd one also for the sake of the latest version of IOS.

North Carolina
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceship_j View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?
    Completely agree w/ the previous posts! First, forget about the first iPad; second, I have an iPad 2 (3 years now) which is running the latest version of iOS, so would work, but has a lousy camera, cannot do Siri (if you might want that feature), and is non-retina screen (along w/ the other minuses mentioned). I was about to buy an iPad Air but will wait until the next version is released just to see what Apple has updated. If $$ is not a major problem, then get the latest model possible - the current iPad Air would be an excellent choice - Dave

MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 6; iPad2
    The last time I checked, you'd pay almost as much for a new iPad2 as for a newer version. Forget about the iPad1, as it's quite limited. I still have my iPad2, and it's okay, but why buy such an old version? If $$ is big concern get a reconditioned iPad3. If you are going to keep this for 4 years of college, you really do need the newer version. Good luck!

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Why on earth wouldn't you get the latest model iPad?? There's no huge savings to be gotten from buying a used one as far as I can see (maybe $100-200 at most, not worth it compared to the power, warranty, etc of a new one).

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Have you looked at a iPad Mini ?? You grab one of them with 64GB and your away. Even look for in the Refurb Store
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information