New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Ipad 1st/2nd for College

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spaceship_j

spaceship_j is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would go for a third or fourth generation iPad instead. Faster processor and better ability to handle the latest version of iOS (7.1). While a 2nd generation iPad will work OK, a later model will last longer and would be better to run the latest apps.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I agree completely with Chscag for the reasons he gave. I am right now stuck with an iPad one. Only IOS 5 will run which limits many things including so many new apps will not install or run.

So for sure don't get an iPad One and if I were you I would skip the 2nd one also for the sake of the latest version of IOS.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceship_j View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?
Completely agree w/ the previous posts! First, forget about the first iPad; second, I have an iPad 2 (3 years now) which is running the latest version of iOS, so would work, but has a lousy camera, cannot do Siri (if you might want that feature), and is non-retina screen (along w/ the other minuses mentioned). I was about to buy an iPad Air but will wait until the next version is released just to see what Apple has updated. If $$ is not a major problem, then get the latest model possible - the current iPad Air would be an excellent choice - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

rainbowcat is on a distinguished road

The last time I checked, you'd pay almost as much for a new iPad2 as for a newer version. Forget about the iPad1, as it's quite limited. I still have my iPad2, and it's okay, but why buy such an old version? If $$ is big concern get a reconditioned iPad3. If you are going to keep this for 4 years of college, you really do need the newer version. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Why on earth wouldn't you get the latest model iPad?? There's no huge savings to be gotten from buying a used one as far as I can see (maybe $100-200 at most, not worth it compared to the power, warranty, etc of a new one).
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have you looked at a iPad Mini ?? You grab one of them with 64GB and your away. Even look for in the Refurb Store

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« anyone been able to jail brake mini with 7.0.4 | Looking To Get An IPad Mini HELP! »