New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Should I get my mother an iPad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spacemanjupiter

spacemanjupiter is on a distinguished road

I have an iPhone and love it for the most part. I made the mistake of buying my mother an Android tablet without thinking that Android is a horrible place to start for someone that doesn't even know how to turn on a computer and doesn't know what 'Internet' means, foreign to the concept of touching a screen, apps, and everything computer related. I had to install VirtualBox and Android to my PC in order to try and walk her through even opening an app or emailing.

I am considering replacing her Android tablet with an iPad 3 or Mini. The only thing is iTunes... In your humble opinions, do you think it's realistic to own an iPad without iTunes, without knowing what iTunes is, or how to use a computer? I gave her a laptop and that was way too much.. The Android tablet was too much. The iPad would be much easier for her to learn and use, but I don't know if it's feasable without iTunes... Of course I can get her set up and going, but she'll probably never be able to learn to use the laptop and iTunes for managing the device.

She is disabled and unable to leave the house pretty much. She may not last a whole lot longer as well. I want her to realize the information she is missing out on and what kind of information (especially medical) and answers that she could have at her fingertips. Plus, I may be moving next year and need for her to be able to video chat and such. What are the cons of owning the device and not having access to iTunes? I have thought of some, but I'm sure there are some I haven't thought of.
QUOTE Thanks
spacemanjupiter

spacemanjupiter is on a distinguished road

One more thing. Is there a 'remote connection' app out there for remotely connecting to another iPad? I am talking about a real remote connection, where I can see her iPad screen and take control of it if needed, like Teamviewer on the PC. If not, why hasn't there been something like that available yet? It would be priceless in situations like this, and I'd even consider going out and buying myself a new iPad just for this purpose, even though I already own a tablet.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm not sure if you are confusing access to iTunes with having an Apple ID.

She will need an Apple ID or forever continue using only those apps that came with the default original installation and never receive any OS or app updates. Not even sure if you can set one up without an Apple ID.

Having no access to iTunes on an iPad would merely mean that she can't download any music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, Books, etc. from iTunes.

If you are referring to not connecting an iDevice to a computer and syncing with iTunes, I have quite a few friends (mostly 50s, 60s+) that have/had iDevices from iPhones to iPads that do not now, nor have ever owned nor even sat at the keyboard of a computer in their lives much less synced them with iTunes on a computer.

However, I can't think of a good reason for switching her from an Android tablet to an iPad other than maybe easier to use video chat - maybe. And that's "IF" she'll even use it. Just because you use this technology does not mean someone at an older age even wants or has any desire or interest in using this technology - especially in the same ways you use it.

You want an easy device for someone that is not tech savvy, I'd have to recommend a Kindle Fire instead of some other Android or iOS device. That's what I've given my wife - she also has an iPhone - and she has been using a computer for 20+ years and still knows nothing about them - can't tell you the difference between a CPU, GPU, RAM or a hard drive, nor how to resolve "any" issue that may arise - she's learned how to do what she wants to do and that's it - like driving a car - you start it and it goes - when something happens, it goes to the mechanic. She doesn't care about nor have any inclination to learn anything she doesn't "want" to know.

No matter what device you get, they'll need to learn how to do exactly the same stuff - how do you get and create new emails - how do you get to the apps you want and how to use them. Don't be fooled into thinking that because someone hasn't begun using some aspects (or any) of one tablet, that getting them a different tablet would cause them to start using other features.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-17-2014 at 06:41 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As always, it depends on what she actually wants to do.

The iPad is ideal for most people and can be used entirely without ever connecting to a computer. But if (for example) all she wants to do is read e-books and send an occasional email, it's probably overkill.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erase password and login on new iPad air | What are the best tools and software for iPad presentations (including remotes)? »