New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Thinking about an iPad Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pothypine

pothypine is on a distinguished road

I was gifted a Nook recently that I have used primarily as an ereader. However, it's functionality with WIFI is quite convenient. I'm considering an apple 'Ereader' (e.g. the iPad mini). My intention is just to make things smooth with my Mac laptop and iPhone...Keep it all in the family. Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader? Are all the purchased apps on my phone useable on the mini?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothypine View Post
Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader?
If you have an Apple Store (or another retailer that sells Apple products) near you...I would say go check it out in person. A hands/eye's on test is the best way to decide.

Quote:
Are all the purchased apps on my phone useable on the mini?
Depends on the app. Some apps are iPhone only, some iPad only, and some are hybrid (both).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader?
How good are your eyes? For me the Mini is too small to use as an eReader which is why I have a full size iPad. If your eyes can take long reading sessions on a small screen, it should be OK. Like Nick stated above, it's best to test one out for yourself before buying.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Also, it should be noted that an iPad can run ANY iPhone app in a pixel-doubled mode, so even on the (rare) chance that you have a particular app that is only available as an iPhone app, it will still work on the iPad. IOW, any purchases you've made will work.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I much prefer reading on the mini (I have a full-size iPad as well).

The type is no worse than reading a paperback novel, and the mini is far nicer to hold for long reading sessions.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

pothypine is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. There is a MACstore I can frolic about....Can I use 'non-iTunes' purchase ebooks on the mini (e.g. from Amazon, a library, or stuff that is already on the nook)?

thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. There is a MACstore I can frolic about....Can I use 'non-iTunes' purchase ebooks on the mini (e.g. from Amazon, a library, or stuff that is already on the nook)?

thanks again.
Kindle and Nook APPs on the iPad allow you to use DRM eBooks purchased from them, plus easy to add non-DRM titles

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't know about the Nook, but the free Amazon Kindle app can be installed on your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, and so on. As long as you pay for the downloaded book from Amazon, you can also read it on all your other devices that you've installed the Kindle app on. Very convenient.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I don't know about the Nook, but the free Amazon Kindle app can be installed on your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, and so on. As long as you pay for the downloaded book from Amazon, you can also read it on all your other devices that you've installed the Kindle app on. Very convenient.
Barnes & Noble has an APP too; I used to have it installed, but I don't have any purchases from them so I deleted it.

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I use e-reading apps on my iPad mini, but my main e-reading device is my Kindle (early-generation with what they now call the 'paperwhite' screen).
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

We have both types of iPad and I can tell you that the WIFI reception via the mini is poor compared with the standard size iPad.

M
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

danny842003 is an unknown at this point

I have a Mini and a Kindle. I wouldn't use the iPad to read on unless i wasn't near the kindle. Not a fan of backlit screens to read with, find the kindle is much easier on the eyes.
QUOTE Thanks
Banjo2010

Banjo2010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny842003 View Post
I have a Mini and a Kindle. I wouldn't use the iPad to read on unless i wasn't near the kindle. Not a fan of backlit screens to read with, find the kindle is much easier on the eyes.
If you read on the iPad version of Kindle why not use white on black to cut down the glare of black on white? Not only that but it saves on power surely?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Zoom on mini iPad. | Can send Gmail but not receive! »