New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad iOS7.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrian1944

adrian1944 is on a distinguished road

I'm just starting to find my way around my new iPad (a gift for my 70th birthday). I was told that if I have an iPhone (which I have) there is no need to have a separate sim for the iPad. Is this correct?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Congrats on your iPad, and your birthday! If I recall correctly, 70 is the age at which you are finally allowed to say anything that's on your mind and get away with it!

What I think the person who was telling you that was talking about is "cellular data." As you probably know, your iPhone and iPad can use Wi-Fi (as you may have in your home, or find in a library or coffee shop etc) just fine. For places where you need Internet access but there is no Wi-Fi around, those devices need "cellular data," which you pay for as part of a monthly plan.

What I think they were trying to say is that if you have cellular data on your iPhone plan, you *MAY* be able to use the iPhone to create a "wi-fi hotspot" using its cellular data. On my phone the option is called a "personal hotspot." If you turn it on and set a password, then other devices (like your iPad, or a friend's iPad) can use your cellular data like a wi-fi hotspot -- all they need is the password you set.

You'll need to check with your provider to see if they allow "personal hotspots" without charging you anything extra. If they don't allow it, you won't see the "personal hotspot" option on your iPhone's settings.

I do this all the time -- I want to use my iPad and keyboard to do some writing and email and such, but I'm outdoors enjoying the day or in a place that doesn't have Wi-Fi. I turn my iPhone's personal hotspot on, and a few seconds later my iPad has "picked it up" and away I go. Obviously, if you're using your phone's data you may need to be mindful of your plan's limit to avoid overcharges.
QUOTE Thanks
adrian1944

Thanks for your very helpful response, chas_m, and for your kind words.

It seems you're right about the internet access. The lady who told me that probably didn't realize that my iPhone is on pre-paid. Today my wife went and got a phone on a plan and they said it had cellular data (I asked, having read your post).

As for being 70. The irony is though, now that nothing I proclaim has any impact, I'm very careful about what I say, or write (in emails, forum posts, on Facebook, etc). 48 years in the workforce taught me that words can carry further than you want if you're not careful.

Cheers
Adrian
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
I'm just starting to find my way around my new iPad (a gift for my 70th birthday).
Congrats on the new iPad...and congrats on the 70th birthday!

Gonna give my mother-in-law an iPad for Mother's Day (I think that she's about 71/72). She has had a Mac-Mini for about the last 3-4 years...but still isn't too "tech-savvy". We will see how it goes with the iPad.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
adrian1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Congrats on the new iPad...and congrats on the 70th birthday!

Gonna give my mother-in-law an iPad for Mother's Day (I think that she's about 71/72). She has had a Mac-Mini for about the last 3-4 years...but still isn't too "tech-savvy". We will see how it goes with the iPad.

- Nick
Thanks Nick.
Hope your MIL likes the iPad.
My wife likes mine. Now she's got an iPhone 5S I guess next will be her own iPad.
Adrian
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
My wife likes mine. Now she's got an iPhone 5S I guess next will be her own iPad.
Maybe "your" iPad will become her iPad...then you'll have to get yourself another one. Amazing how that happens!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I jail break my iPad 1 now that there are no future updates to its IOS? | Location, location, location! »