New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Should I jail break my iPad 1 now that there are no future updates to its IOS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

magentawave

magentawave is on a distinguished road

I have an iPad 1 and never jail broke it because I didn't want to hassle when Apple rolled out an update. Anyway, since 5.1.1 is as far as Apple is going with the iPad 1 I'm wondering if I should jail break it now.

I have a few questions please...

1) Is there any downside now to jail breaking an iPad 1?

2) Can I still get apps from the App Store after jail breaking?

3) I need to access an Apple Airport Time Capsule with the Airport Utility app but the Airport Utility app won't work on an iPad 1. Will the latest version of the Airport Utility app work on a jail broken iPad 1?

Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
mesut

mesut will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA mid-2013

I never used an Apple product except for my Macbook Air, but my friend used an iPhone 4S, so I'm going to convey his story in the eye of an outsider, but he's not tech savvy, so I was kinda managing his phone.

He did not have any performance/stability issue after jailbreaking. But he did not use any advantages of jailbreaking for that time, except for sideloading apps (An Android term, not sure if it applies for iOS, but basically he used some pirated apps). I think it was called Cydia or something like that. I'm not sure about the security part though, after all, you are using a modified app on a modified OS. I'd add some nasty stuff if I was a cracker.

Then he discovered that he could do more than sideloading apps. He added new gestures, new look&feel, new Settings options... Basically, he just transformed his phone. I must say, he really had fun with his phone. Before he discovered this, he didn't use his phone much.

But then instability started. Those apps started to crash, the phone froze frequently, he had problems with calls... He had enough when his phone froze at least 4 times a day, then lost most of his data.

He could browse and buy/download apps from App Store. He could update the apps. And I'm not sure, but he actually got an iOS update while his phone was jailbroken. Of course, that broke jailbreak. And he could restore his phone to the first-day state, using the backup he had just before jailbreaking the phone.

I'm not sure about your third question. I was not aware of such app, neither did my friend.

But wait for second opinion before doing anything. After all, I've never used a tablet, let alone an iPad
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would trade in the iPad 1 on a new one this is exactly what I did at Best Buy since things became more evident that it was at end of life and the iPad 2 will probably experience this sometime within the year.
If you like your Pad then you will absolutely love the iPad Air.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Best Buy accepts trade ins when buying a new iPad Air from them? I wasn't aware they did that.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If you go from a 1st Gen iPad to an iPad Air, it will blow your mind. I did that and it was just unbelievable.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Best Buy accepts trade ins when buying a new iPad Air from them? I wasn't aware they did that.
Went to the counter they checked out my iPad 1 gave me a reward zone card went straight over to the iPads gave them the card and paid the difference imo it was a trade in for the most part.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, thanks. I was curious because I didn't know that they did that. The rewards card of course is just like receiving credit but must be applied to a Best Buy purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

How much credit did Best Buy give you for your iPad 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I would trade in the iPad 1 on a new one this is exactly what I did at Best Buy since things became more evident that it was at end of life and the iPad 2 will probably experience this sometime within the year.
If you like your Pad then you will absolutely love the iPad Air.

And in a nutshell, what are the main differences? Is the iPad Air the same thing as what Apple is calling the iPad 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
If you go from a 1st Gen iPad to an iPad Air, it will blow your mind. I did that and it was just unbelievable.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Is the iPad Air the same thing as what Apple is calling the iPad 2?
The full-sized iPad models are (chronologically):

- iPad 1
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Air

As you can see...the iPad Air is well removed (evolutionarily speaking) from the iPad 2.

If you want to know more...head here for more info:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...pad-specs.html

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

When I said "iPad 2" I wasn't referring to the second generation iPad but on Apples iPad page they are selling the iPad Air and the iPad 2. I was wondering what the difference is between the iPad Air and what Apple is calling the iPad 2. I will look at that page. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The full-sized iPad models are (chronologically):

- iPad 1
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Air

As you can see...the iPad Air is well removed (evolutionarily speaking) from the iPad 2.

If you want to know more...head here for more info:

Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications) @ EveryiPad.com

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Quote:
When I said "iPad 2" I wasn't referring to the second generation iPad but on Apples iPad page they are selling the iPad Air and the iPad 2. I was wondering what the difference is between the iPad Air and what Apple is calling the iPad 2. I will look at that page. Thanks.
The iPad 2 is the iPad 2. It's not what Apple is calling it, it is what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

By the way... this page Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications) @ EveryiPad.com doesn't seem to show what Apple is now calling the "iPad 2" here: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

So Apple is selling BRAND NEW two generation old iPads on their main iPad comparison page here https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ but isn't selling the third and fourth gen iPads there? Why would they do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
The iPad 2 is the iPad 2. It's not what Apple is calling it, it is what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Quote:
So Apple is selling BRAND NEW two generation old iPads on their main iPad comparison page here https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ but isn't selling the third and fourth gen iPads there? Why would they do that?
Made way too many of them, and now they're not selling as fast as the better ones.
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

Really? Wow that is amazing that they still have a glut of old iPad 2's laying around. Okay, so the latest, greatest iPad is the iPad Air, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Made way too many of them, and now they're not selling as fast as the better ones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Default browser won't default | iPad iOS7.1 »