New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkWebb

MarkWebb is on a distinguished road

I cant get my iPad to find my current location in Maps?
Have tried a Location reset in Settings and restarting.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello - please provide information on your iPad model & iOS installed - check HERE for information about 'Location Services' on iOS 7 (links to earlier versions are @ the bottom).

Location is determined in a number of ways (quote below from the link) - for my iPad 2 w/ Wi-Fi only that is my option, so make sure that your radios are on and if present that cellular is working. Also, are the 'location services' working in other apps? If so you might want to 'Force Close' the Maps app, if not already done. Also did you 'Restart' or 'Reset' the iPad, the latter involves using both the On-Off & the Home buttons pressed simultaneously. Let us know if any of this information helps and if not then please post back. Dave

Quote:
Depending on your device and available services, Location Services uses a combination of cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to determine your location. If you're not within a clear line of sight to GPS satellites, your device can determine your location using crowd-sourced Wi-Fi5 and cell tower locations or iBeacons.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkWebb

Thank you for your reply Dave. I have an iPad Air with WiFi only.
Cant find Radios anywhere but everything is switched on in Privacy.
I Reset using On-Off and Home button.
It found my location in December when I purchased it, but I have now moved house and it remains on the previous location?
How would I Force Close Maps?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWebb View Post
Thank you for your reply Dave. I have an iPad Air with WiFi only.
Cant find Radios anywhere but everything is switched on in Privacy.
I Reset using On-Off and Home button.
It found my location in December when I purchased it, but I have now moved house and it remains on the previous location?
How would I Force Close Maps?
Hi Mark - by radios, I just meant your Wi-Fi (of course, Bluetooth but that would not be of much help) being on & working. Concerning 'Force Close' - will depend on the iOS installed, but see below (a little list that I've used in the iPadForums many times - might want to join - devoted just to iPads w/ over 300K members worldwide).

Are any of the other apps that use 'Location Services' working? Since like me you just have Wi-Fi (a cellular model uses GPS), the service may not be as readily available in your new location (don't know if you out in the country, in a city, or elsewhere?) - have you taken the iPad to other places and given Maps a try? Dave

Quote:
When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWebb View Post
It's possible that there's interference or something blocking a GPS signal. It happens - stuff gets in the way and makes the device struggle to find a signal until it gives up.

Have you tried finding your location in different places or only at home?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MarkWebb

Tried all of the above.
However, have not tried in a different location which I will do.

Thank you both for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
tiotaco

tiotaco is on a distinguished road

I have wifi/cellular Pad Air but do not have data plan since don't need cellular service. My maps do not no work without wifi. I thought Ipad had GPS antenna and service without cellular.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiotaco View Post
I have wifi/cellular Pad Air but do not have data plan since don't need cellular service. My maps do not no work without wifi. I thought Ipad had GPS antenna and service without cellular.
It has to get the info by either wi-fi or cellular .
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiotaco View Post
The iPad Wi-Fi only does not have built-in GPS, but the cellular models certainly do - Location Services in iOS 7 uses a variety of signals to determine where you may be (see quote below from HERE). From my understanding, for GPS to work on the iPad the following are needed: 1) GPS turned on; 2) Location Services enabled; and 3) Local maps of your location - if these are not 'stored' on your iPad, then a Wi-Fi connection is needed to download the appropriate maps. Dave

Quote:
Location Services allows location-based apps and websites (including Maps, Camera, Safari, and other Apple and third-party apps) to use information from cellular, Wi-Fi1, Global Positioning System (GPS)2 networks, and iBeacons3 to determine your approximate location.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lightning / 30-Pin Adapters | iPad Mini Digitizer replacement require soldering? »