New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Lightning connector

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fhsfhs1976

fhsfhs1976 is on a distinguished road

I have a Nikon D60 but read bad reports of this cable connector.
Thoughts pls
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You're going to need to be more specific than this. What have you heard? What are you concerned about? What are you trying to do? What machine are you using?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
fhsfhs1976

fhsfhs1976 is on a distinguished road

I have the latest Ipad and my previous Ipad 2 used a connector to transfer photo's from my Nikon D60. The new very small connector has a lot of bad reports on the Apple Forum site in as much people cannot use it with IO7 and not recognising various cards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you have a question or are you just making a statement? Are you asking how to transfer photos from your Nikon to your new iPad?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hello & welcome to the forum! I own the iPad 2 and have the old 30-pin docking adapter which has worked fine for me w/ my camera's SD cards and has worked on iOS 7.0.4. However, I'm certainly aware of problems w/ these adapters, especially non-Apple offerings (just need to look on Amazon @ some of the reviews for these less expensive products).

I'm assuming you have the iPad Air which requires the Lightning adapter (like the one shown below from the Apple Store) - this one accepts a SD card, and another uses an USB link. The reviews on this device there are also shown below and are fairly mediocre w/ lots of poor votes - if you purchase from an Apple retailer and you might want to visit, then you can 'test' some w/ your camera's SD card(s) - just a suggestion.

Another consideration are some of the 'wireless' devices that accept SD cards and required no iPad cabling; e.g. I own the AirStash - a free app is available for the iPad; the small gadget sets up a personal Wi-Fi network which the app detects and allows image transfer in either direction - click the link & read the reviews (you can also search & DL the manual). Good luck! Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 5.11.09 PM.png (13.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 5.11.20 PM.png (40.2 KB, 37 views)
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Hi Fhsfhs - welcome to the forum! Now I just left a post to another newbie w/ a similar name, i.e. 'Fhsfhs1976' for the same question? Did you register here twice? If not, then check out this link SD Card Reader - might help answer your question. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Fhsfhs - welcome to the forum! Now I just left a post to another newbie w/ a similar name, i.e. 'Fhsfhs1976' for the same question? Did you register here twice? ...
Not any longer...

(Just so you knew you weren't losing it )

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Not any longer...

(Just so you knew you weren't losing it )

Hi Bobtomay - LOL! Of course I knew it was the same person but I seem to be just too polite on public forums - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Bobtomay - LOL! Of course I knew it was the same person but I seem to be just too polite on public forums - Dave
Stick around. We'll soon have that little character flaw in hand.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents. I would certainly trust Apple's version of the product ahead of a Chinese-made knock-off version, if that's what he's asking ...
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents. I would certainly trust Apple's version of the product ahead of a Chinese-made knock-off version, if that's what he's asking ...
-

Don't disagree @ all - now, I'd rather see the chart skewed to the higher ratings but in this situation, reading some of those negative comments helps, and yes many are obviously from users not knowing how to use the adapter/device.

I've owned the Apple 30-pin adapter for my iPad 2 now nearly 3 years - has worked just fine and I would buy the Apple Lightning adapter for my wife's Mini w/o hesitation, but she does not really use a camera or cares much about photos on the device - I guess email, FB, & games keeps her plenty busy!

Plus w/ the 'wireless' AirStash (linked in my previous post) and the app on her Mini - photo transfer would be easy, so a nice device in a house w/ multiple iPads and adapter needs - the gadget eliminates the adapter dilemma. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents.
Well, that's weird logic. Aren't Apple devices supposed to "just work"? Beyond that, who has the right to invalidate the negative reviews of "witless incompetents"? What about the positive reviews? Maybe they're written by overzealous apologists who can't get over the fact that people write negative reviews.

I think it's important to take those negative reviews into context - it's very possible that an Apple adapter just plain sucks.

fhsfhs1976, have you considered wireless/networking based solutions like Dropbox?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Beyond that, who has the right to invalidate the negative reviews of "witless incompetents"?
People who have read them.

I didn't say all negative reviews are written by witless incompetents. I said a lot of them are. That's not the same thing.

Quote:
What about the positive reviews?
Mostly written by naive sycophants.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I think it's important to read the application reviews posted in the Mac App store. There are obviously some that are written by folks who have "no clue" as to what they're doing. But for the most part, the reviews give an overall honest opinion of the App.

When I see an App that has a page of negative reviews from users who mostly have the same complaints, I know that particular app is one to stay away from. And yes, there are apps from some developers who have purposely placed false positive reviews in order to boost sales. But you can usually spot those.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Time Zone | iPad no longer connects to home Airport Express »