New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fjm4160

fjm4160 is on a distinguished road

I have an iPad 2 (wi-fi only) with an ATT account. I'm thinking of giving it to an elderly friend who is on the Verizon network. She has DISH Internet in her home.

Bottom line: I want to think that there's no issue since the IPad is wi-fi only. Am I correct? Are there other issues I should be aware of? thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since it's a WiFi only iPad, AT&T, Verizon or Dish that you mentioned has no bearing on the device itself.

The only thing that matters is that your friend has a WiFi network to which she can the iPad to so that it can get to the Internet.

Short of that, you just need to restore the iPad 2 to the New state so that she can configure it as appropriate.

Plug the iPad 2 into iTunes, go to Devices and then click Restore. When the Restore process finishes it will give you the option to restore from a backup or setup as a new device, choose the latter option and then you can hand it off..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If it has been updated to iOS 7, be sure to turn off Find my iPhone/iPad in Settings before hand.

EDIT: After you have it ready (all your files backed-up and Find my iPhone turned off) no need to use iTunes to clear. Just go to Reset under the Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
fjm4160

fjm4160 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the quick reply.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Not to hijack this thread but a related question - in the next month or so I'll be replacing my iPad 2 w/ a new Air - the old iPad is running updated iOS 7 - I was planning to backup the iPad 2 via cabled iTunes, and then restore to the new Air - however, my wife would like the iPad 2 mainly as a 'reader' (her Mini is rather small for reading magazine subscriptions).

So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave
You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.
Thanks Chscag - I assume that iTunes tracked something unique to each device like a MAC number or the S/N as you indicated. I'll be taking some apps/data off the old iPad and putting my iPod music onto the new one, so backups will certainly be different - name change sounds fine to me. Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« :Shouting: Don't Buy Used Apple Products With iOS7 Update! | Changing from F to centigrade »