giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else
    I have an iPad 2 (wi-fi only) with an ATT account. I'm thinking of giving it to an elderly friend who is on the Verizon network. She has DISH Internet in her home.

Bottom line: I want to think that there's no issue since the IPad is wi-fi only. Am I correct? Are there other issues I should be aware of? thanks.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Since it's a WiFi only iPad, AT&T, Verizon or Dish that you mentioned has no bearing on the device itself.

The only thing that matters is that your friend has a WiFi network to which she can the iPad to so that it can get to the Internet.

Short of that, you just need to restore the iPad 2 to the New state so that she can configure it as appropriate.

Plug the iPad 2 into iTunes, go to Devices and then click Restore. When the Restore process finishes it will give you the option to restore from a backup or setup as a new device, choose the latter option and then you can hand it off..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    If it has been updated to iOS 7, be sure to turn off Find my iPhone/iPad in Settings before hand.

EDIT: After you have it ready (all your files backed-up and Find my iPhone turned off) no need to use iTunes to clear. Just go to Reset under the Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else
    Thanks guys for the quick reply.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    Not to hijack this thread but a related question - in the next month or so I'll be replacing my iPad 2 w/ a new Air - the old iPad is running updated iOS 7 - I was planning to backup the iPad 2 via cabled iTunes, and then restore to the new Air - however, my wife would like the iPad 2 mainly as a 'reader' (her Mini is rather small for reading magazine subscriptions).

So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave
    You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.
    Thanks Chscag - I assume that iTunes tracked something unique to each device like a MAC number or the S/N as you indicated. I'll be taking some apps/data off the old iPad and putting my iPod music onto the new one, so backups will certainly be different - name change sounds fine to me. Dave

Thread Information