New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

:Shouting: Don't Buy Used Apple Products With iOS7 Update!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacForCash

MacForCash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone

I bought a used iPad 2 from eBay last week and all worked well until I wanted to restore it and sync to my computer. After restoring and installing iOS 7 Apple will ask for your iCloud account. If you bought a used Apple product and the previous owner synced their FindMyIphone account with iCloud, you wont be able to use your "new" Apple product without having the previous owners password!

I've tried everything.. From contacting the buyer to contacting Apple, no clear answer yet. I understand the security measures Apple is trying to make but, people will get ripped off even more! So I'm stuck with a paper weight iPad that I can't use because of the new "security" apple setup.

Anyone else having this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you not just erase it and start over? With IOS7 I have no idea.
QUOTE Thanks
MacForCash

Thats the thing you cannot! Apple placed this system for stolen devices and when you try to restore it still saves the previous owners iCloud account. Apple said unless you give them a proof of purchase receipt they can't do anything!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Yeah, this is a responsibility of the seller to remove the iOS device from their iCloud account before selling it.

If you can contact the seller, ask him/her to do so. They sign into icloud.com, click on the Find My iPhone icon and select the iPad from the "All Devices" drop-down in the center of the screen.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacForCash View Post
I bought a used iPad 2 from eBay last week...

...you wont be able to use your "new" Apple product without having the previous owners password!

I've tried everything... From contacting the buyer to contacting Apple...
You mentioned trying to contact the seller/previous owner...did you ever hear back from them? If not...did you Pay for the iPad with Paypal? If so...file a dispute...and return the iPad.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You mentioned trying to contact the seller/previous owner...did you ever hear back from them? If not...did you Pay for the iPad with Paypal? If so...file a dispute...and return the iPad.

- Nick
x2. File a dispute through Paypal or eBay. Be advised, an open dispute can lock your Paypal account so if there is money sitting in there you best yank it out first. I'd definitely not let this stand though. Get a refund, a usable device or at least wreck the seller financially if possible...

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
MacForCash

SO.. After all the stress and thinking I managed to get the seller to unlock the iPad! Phew. I really don't think that apple's new security measure will work. Its just too much work and it will scare away customers.

-MacforCash-
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacForCash View Post
SO.. After all the stress and thinking I managed to get the seller to unlock the iPad! Phew. I really don't think that apple's new security measure will work. Its just too much work and it will scare away customers.
From what I'm reading...this situation was made more complex due to a seller selling a used iPad that wasn't fully restored to it's original factory state. Making things much more complex for the new owner/buyer.

This is really very similar to a person selling someone a used Macintosh computer...and either not telling the new owner the Admin password for the computer...or not restoring the computer to it's original "new state" (without an admin password)...for the new owner.

I think that the security features that Apple has in place are for the protection of the current owner. For example if the current owner takes their iPad "out into the world" with them...and it gets stolen or misplaced. Then the current owner has more protection.

I don't think that the Apple security features are there to make it easy for a buyer of a previously owned piece of Apple hardware to gain access to the device.

If the device has not been reset BEFORE the ownership transfer (sale) of the used device (from the old owner to new owner). From the perspective of the device (iPad)...this situation is no different than if the device was stolen...and the "thief" was trying to gain access to it.

The lesson here is...a device like an iPad needs to be reset to it's factory settings before the seller transfers to the buyer. Or at least the seller disables all security features BEFORE selling to the buyer.

The security features are there to protect the current owner of the device...not future owners.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Spot on Nick. Not Apple's problem at all. Check out a seller's feedback carefully.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Apple did with IOS7 was even more illuminated today. Facebook put out an update. With IOS6 and before you can stop Auto Updates. Every IOS7 user I have talked to says you can NOT turn it off. The Facebook app has issues and I see 1000's of posts of people who depend on that app to talk to family and friends and it's broke. They had no say if the Update installed or not and now it's broke till the app is fixed. Not a good thing. I am sure many IOS7 lovers will hate me, but it's hurt many friends of mine who had no idea the app had issues.

And if you restore from an older backup, give it a few min and IOS7 will autoupdate it again and break it.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
From what I'm reading...this situation was made more complex due to a seller selling a used iPad that wasn't fully restored to it's original factory state. Making things much more complex for the new owner/buyer.

This is really very similar to a person selling someone a used Macintosh computer...and either not telling the new owner the Admin password for the computer...or not restoring the computer to it's original "new state" (without an admin password)...for the new owner.

I think that the security features that Apple has in place are for the protection of the current owner. For example if the current owner takes their iPad "out into the world" with them...and it gets stolen or misplaced. Then the current owner has more protection.

I don't think that the Apple security features are there to make it easy for a buyer of a previously owned piece of Apple hardware to gain access to the device.

If the device has not been reset BEFORE the ownership transfer (sale) of the used device (from the old owner to new owner). From the perspective of the device (iPad)...this situation is no different than if the device was stolen...and the "thief" was trying to gain access to it.

The lesson here is...a device like an iPad needs to be reset to it's factory settings before the seller transfers to the buyer. Or at least the seller disables all security features BEFORE selling to the buyer.

The security features are there to protect the current owner of the device...not future owners.

- Nick
This is so true Nick, BUT you cannot install or pie the iPad/iPhone with iOS7 with Find my Phone on anyways, so the seller has done a clean install then gone ahead and set up Find my Phone and hence iCloud again and to me, that just doesn't make any sense.
So Apple have implemented a work around, and the seller just doesn't active at Find my Phone once its got a fresh iOS7 on it and everything is right to go.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

One of the first things I did when setting up my new 5S was turn off auto updates.

I have not yet had my 5S auto update anything...
I have 7 available updates right now.
Even the iOS 7.0.3 update sat there for a few days before I manually ran the update.

The setting is in:

Settings - iTunes and App Store - Automatic Downloads
There is a specific one there for 'Updates'
Personally, I have everything turned off in this section, including the 'Use Cellular Data' for auto downloading.

Even so, the Facebook problem is a Facebook problem.
Even if auto updates had been turned off, I seriously doubt that 1 in a hundred people that noticed an update to the Facebook app would have gone to the web and researched whether that update was causing any problems before they touched that little 'Update' button.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and iOS7 is causing lots of aggro, although Apple meant well by potentially killing off the market for stolen devices, which is good.

At work, testing and replacing iPads and iPod Touch's used to be a simple straight forward process. It still is relatively when you deal with the customer face to face. Even if the product is not functioning it takes no time to check in Apple's GSX if 'find my xxx' is turned on and getting the customer to access iCloud.com to turn it off. Problems arise when you receive products from stores, not dealing direct with the customer. A simple task often then becomes a time consuming drawn out nightmare.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Mavericks

These are just transitional problems. It appears that sellers are not used to resetting their device to factory before the sale (though I personally find that a scary concept - I would never sell a device with any of my own data left on it). Buyers are not used to asking whether this has been done.

In 6 months there will be enough awareness in the market place that this will be a non-issue. In 12 months time people will have forgotten it was ever a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Every IOS7 user I have talked to says you can NOT turn it off.
Let me add to your iOS7 user list and say, yes you can. It's just a simple slider in Settings - iTunes & App Store

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store | giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else »