New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Smart Cover after Case Swap no longer working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ovel2clock

ovel2clock is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the backing on my Ipad 2 (2012) after being damaged from a drop. Now the my smart cover repels from the screen as if the polarity is reversed.

Do you know what the issue is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-11-01 18.25.43.jpg (134.2 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Where did you buy the back cover from for your iPad 2?
QUOTE Thanks
ovel2clock

from ebay
Original Replacement Back Cover Housing for iPad 2 WiFi 16GB 32GB 64GB US Seller | eBay

I'm guessing that they installed the magnets incorrectly.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I'm guessing that they installed the magnets incorrectly.
Yeah, I agree. It looks like those covers are genuine and not a knock off. I would contact the seller and ask to have the one you were sold returned and another shipped to you in its place.

If the magnetic strips were reversed on the inside of the cover it would result in a reversal of the polarity which is what you're experiencing.
QUOTE Thanks
ovel2clock

Yeah, if it's not authentic, it's the best knock-off I've ever seen.

At this point I've got everything moved over into the new case so it's not worth it to me. I just was curious as I read there was a problem with polarity with these smart covers with certain models.

If nothing else, I'll throw the case on ebay/cl and get a few bucks back towards an otterbox.
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovel2clock View Post
I just replaced the backing on my Ipad 2 (2012) after being damaged from a drop. Now the my smart cover repels from the screen as if the polarity is reversed.

Do you know what the issue is?

I'd bet money that whoever worked on your ipad put the magnets in backwards...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipad OS upgrade | Nov 1st iPad Air release day expectations »