New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Problems Opening Larger PDF Files in Safari on IPAD 2??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crimso

crimso is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone,

I'm a newb here, and I am turning to the forum for some help. I have an Ipad 2, I'm up to date on IOS 7. I have a dropbox account and I have a few large (150+mb) PDF files stored in dropbox. I have tried to download these PDF's files, but all that happens is a separate tab open, the bar starts loading, but after a few moment, it closes safari and returns to the HOME screen.

When I re-open Safari, it is still on the tab, trying to open the PDF file and after a few moments, kicks out again to the HOME screen. Rinse and repeat several more times...

I load the file on my PC to Google Drive. I attempted to open the PDF via Google Drive and get the same exact result.

I have downloaded PDF files from the dropbox that are less than 75mb and they will open just fine.

My ipad has opened this saem exact files several months ago, but was doing the same thing prior to the iOS 7 update.

does anyone know what's going on here??

Thank you ALL for your time.

S.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hi Crimso - welcome to MacForums!

I also own an iPad 2 and usually read my PDF files in iBooks or GoodReader - not sure that you have these on your device but a consideration; however, first and if not already done, I would 'Reset' the iPad (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver) and try again.

The other concern is that the files mentioned cannot be opened on either your iOS device or on your Windows computer - have you opened these large PDFs before? If not, then you might consider faulty PDFs - just saying? But, let us know if any of the above helps; if not, then post back - good luck! Dave

Quote:
Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.
QUOTE Thanks
crimso

crimso is on a distinguished road

thank you!

I have opened the files on both Windows and on my Ipad in the Past. They currently open both from my Hardrive and from Dropbox on my PC, no problem. Again, I would stress that smaller files (less than 50mb PDF's) open without incident. I have 3GB of storage available on my iPad.

I have turned off my Ipad and turned it back on several times, including my last attempt today. Is this the same as restarting?

Lastly, I read my PDF's via iBooks. However, I usually have to open them in safari, then I open them in ibooks once they have loaded on safari in order to retain/download them.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimso View Post
thank you!
I have opened the files on both Windows and on my Ipad in the Past. They currently open both from my Hardrive and from Dropbox on my PC, no problem. Again, I would stress that smaller files (less than 50mb PDF's) open without incident. I have 3GB of storage available on my iPad.
Well, not sure what size iPad you own, i.e. 16, 32, or 64 GB, but on a regular computer I like to keep 15-20% of 'free' storage (not sure if that is a good recommendation for the iPad), but 3 GB may be getting a little low? If you can remove some larger files & increase your storage, might be worth a try.

Quote:
I have turned off my Ipad and turned it back on several times, including my last attempt today. Is this the same as restarting?
A 'Reset' is as described in my quote - requires simultaneous pressing of BOTH the Power & Home buttons until the iPad reboots (don't stop when the slider appears) - may take 10 seconds or more - please give this another try and then re-test.

Quote:
Lastly, I read my PDF's via iBooks. However, I usually have to open them in safari, then I open them in ibooks once they have loaded on safari in order to retain/download them.
Not sure why you need the extra step - when I pick a PDF file in my Dropbox app on the iPad, the choice is offered to just open in iBooks or in GoodReader - curious?

But try the 'Reset' again & possibly increasing your storage - good luck! Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iOS7 Fonts | Dock for ipad 4 ? »