New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad mini 2 ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

himmelstorte

himmelstorte is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5

So I'm about to buy an iPad mini for my school, but was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I'm hearing rumours about an iPad mini 2 coming out before the holidays, do you think I should wait and see? Or is it just rumours, because Apple announced their new products already (iPhone 5s & 5c) and there's not really a big chance for an iPad mini 2? Retina display and faster chip would be my 2 main reasons to wait.

Thanks in advance! Cheers, Lily
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The iPad mini was introduced originally on October 23 of last year.

Nobody knows for certain when a refreshed model is coming out, but there is still PLENTY of time for Apple to announce a new one and still reap the xmas buying season. I feel very very confident new iPads will be announced sometime in October.

Whether the new model will have a Retina display or not is entirely up for grabs. Not having one didn't hurt the previous model *one little bit,* and if adding a Retina display makes it more expensive or delays it coming out for xmas Apple might well go with the same display they have now.

IF Apple brings out a new iPad mini this year (and I certainly believe they will), I can promise it will have significant improvements over the previous one, but beyond that nobody knows.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I'd give myself a deadline (like x-mas or Jan 1st) and if you don't see one announced by then, just get a refurbished in the online Apple Store.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmelstorte View Post
I'm hearing rumours about an iPad mini 2 coming out before the holidays, do you think I should wait and see?
My question back to you is...If this rumor is true...can you wait till the holidays to purchase an iPad mini 2 (if Apple actually releases it by then)? If so...then wait.

The best time to purchase an Apple product is right after a new model is released. Then you know for sure that you will have the "latest & greatest" for a little while (at least until the iPad mini 3 comes out)!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
himmelstorte

himmelstorte is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5

Thank you so much guys! I'm probably going waiting till xmas or so, to see if Apple comes with a new awesome iPad mini. If not, I'll buy the current one.

Have a great day everyone!
Lily
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, look: if Apple's going to announce an iPad update in 2013, it has to do so by Thanksgiving weekend at the absolute latest -- and most people would say that's way too late.

So I don't think you have to wait till xmas to work this out.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Retina upgrade would be nice. I have the gen 1 iPad Mini and used to swear I would jump on a Retina version when Apple released one. Now, I'm not sure.

I really love my Mini and not sure Retina would make it that much better . . . all bets are off, though, if they ever release a 13in Retina model.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I personally would be surprised if they released a Retina iPad mini. On the other hand, because its a smaller screen it might be somewhat cheaper to make than the full-size Retina screens used in the regular iPads.

I'm much more hopeful of a next-gen full-size iPad that is significantly lighter. I like the larger screen, just want it to be lighter.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm much more hopeful of a next-gen full-size iPad that is significantly lighter. I like the larger screen, just want it to be lighter.
Amen!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Still can't delete songs from iPad Mini with iOS7? | iPad wont hold a charge after iOS7 Update »