New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Updating Original Ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryanp77

ryanp77 is on a distinguished road

So I need to update my or should I say my wifes iPad. It is one one the first generations
and it is telling me that I need to load everything to my computer so it can update. My question is that I have some stuff from an old user name and my wife has her own stuff on there, am I going to lose some of the old stuff or once I move everything to my laptop everything will save.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Back it up in iTunes. Everything should get copied over. Photos may be an exception... import those with the app of your choice.
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Its my belief that if you copy everything over using your wife's username then thats what will only come over. Whats on there from the other user wont copy over, because you are logged in as the wife, not as the old user. If that could happen, everyone would be swapping iDevices to get everyone else's content.

I know this, because i had a iPod and gave it to my son, as he used it more, and i then got him his own Apple iD and when he backed up first, only his stuff came over, and whenever there was a update, he needed my Password so the Apps could update, so i cleaned it up for him and bought him his own Minecraft and so on, but no, the old stuff SHOULDNT come over onto that Apple ID.
If that could happen, it would be down the lines of stealing, and thats why Apple make it the way it is. Your Apple iD Apps are your and the Wife's are hers. . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

TM, I'm not sure about that. If you authorize iTunes on that user account for both Apple IDs, it should work. If it isn't, I think it will prompt you do authorize it before proceeding with the backup. I have purchases from an older and a newer ID on my devices (as does my wife) and we have no issues syncing/backing up. Where having multiple Apple IDs comes into play is iCloud and auto-updating. iTunes will only update apps that are tied to the ID that is currently logged in. I have to log out and back in with the other account to manage the apps for the other ID. Of course I normally do that on my iDevice anyway.

Piracy isn't an issue also because the iDevice still has to be authorized with the Apple ID that the apps are tied to before they can be used. In any event, I agree it is much cleaner to stick to one Apple ID per device and not mix things up. When migrating to my .Me Apple ID some time back, I started re-purchasing some of my apps to make things less of a hassle. Thankfully most were free and relatively few at the time.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanp77

ryanp77 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys I am going to give it a try today and see what happens
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

bluecheer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro(2011)iphone4S,ipad1

I have an iPad Original and I am the first owner. My problem is that I installed 'Garage Band'
when it first came out, as I have done several backups to my Mac all was good, until I stripped the iPad and then 'Garage Band' disappeared, so now I have installed again and now it will not update!!!!!!!!
Anybody heard of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if anyone has please let me now what I can or can't do. Because this is pissing me off.
thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheer View Post
I have an iPad Original and I am the first owner. My problem is that I installed 'Garage Band'
when it first came out, as I have done several backups to my Mac all was good, until I stripped the iPad and then 'Garage Band' disappeared, so now I have installed again and now it will not update!!!!!!!!
Anybody heard of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if anyone has please let me now what I can or can't do. Because this is pissing me off.
thanks.
Why not download it to your Mac, if its not already, update it, and then sync it to your iPad ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

bluecheer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro(2011)iphone4S,ipad1

ok thank you.Will do that and hope that works.
thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my Ipad 2 broken? Need help! | how to upgrade ios 7 on sept 18 on ipad 3? »