Specs:
    MacBook Air/Yosemite (I regret to say) -- Google Chrome
    iPad not charging
    My wife's iPad, new last year, will charge via the USB-port on this MacBook Air, but not on the mains adaptor nor via the USB-port on our older MacBook. What is going on ?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Are you using the same USB cable with the 3 different connections? Does the mains adapter charger other iOS devices you may have?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Yes, the same cable for all, and the mains-adapter works perfectly for example with my iPhone.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    It's strange that the main adapter would not work since that should almost always work. Does the older Macbook detect the iPad at all?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    No, it does not.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Apple clearly states that iPads and iPhones should not be charged from the ports on a MacBook, MacBook Air, or a MacBook Pro. Why? Because not enough current is available via those USB ports to charge them at the rate which is needed. And, it can damage the ports.

For best results, you should always charge your iPad and iPhone via the power adapter that came with them.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Apple clearly states that iPads and iPhones should not be charged from the ports on a MacBook, MacBook Air, or a MacBook Pro. Why? Because not enough current is available via those USB ports to charge them at the rate which is needed. And, it can damage the ports.

For best results, you should always charge your iPad and iPhone via the power adapter that came with them.
    Are you sure? I use my MBP to charge my iOS devices all the time. Sure it takes tons longer for the iPad 2, but it still charges fine. I wouldn't think it would cause any issues other than taking longer.

Edit: Yeah, Apple Support says its OK to charge an iPad via your computer's USB ports.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I agree with chscag use the supplied chargers it would charge quicker.

Specs:
    But, as I explained in my 1st post, the result of that would be that my wife's iPad would not charge at all.

Specs:
    The newer iPads, both the third and fourth generation models have a larger battery than previous models and require at least a 10W adapter charger. If it charges your iPhone OK and not the iPad, that suggests a problem with the iPad input. Is her iPad still under warranty?

Specs:
    Thank you, I shall check that, and there is always the wonderful Genius Bar in London, where all Apple-ish troubles are cured completely free.

Specs:
    Are you sure? I use my MBP to charge my iOS devices all the time. Sure it takes tons longer for the iPad 2, but it still charges fine. I wouldn't think it would cause any issues other than taking longer.
    You've been lucky. I've seen reports from users who lost their USB ports from charging devices that draw more current than what the ports are designed for. The iPad 2 has a smaller battery than the 3 or 4 and probably draws less current so maybe it's OK. But if it were mine, I still wouldn't take the chance.

Thread Information