New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

repair job

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluecheer

bluecheer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro(2011)iphone4S,ipad1

hello I am thinking of buying an iPad2 which has a home button that does not work can it be repaired,if not does it really matter as you can bypass!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's a work around for many of the Home buttons functions. The video covers the iPad one but the idea should work for the iPad2.

Use Accessibility features to simulate the Home button.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Why on earth would you buy an iPad that is going to be frustrating and difficult to repair that particular function?
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

Cheers 'slydude' seems straightforward and easy to use not a lot trouble to do for an iPad,thanks for your help.
Not at all difficult Chas_m and a lot cheaper than repairing at a cost of about $250.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. I might have had an ulterior motive though. I haave a first ten iPad and budget constraints will likely force me to keep it going as long as possible.

If you get a chance it might be a good idea to ask the seller if yoyo can try using it with those gestures. I'm pretty sure it will work but it has been my experience that you never know how annoying a work around is until you use it. It's kinda like keyboard shortcuts on a Mac some people love them and some hate them.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

I have been in touch with seller and yes that option does work on the iPad.
thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

You can add a virtual home button to the iPad or you can use iFixit.com to install a new home button.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« buying refurbished? | Viewing HTML page on ipad »