New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Settings on iPad 2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonTide

CrimsonTide is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Maverick 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Memory

Can someone help me determine what setting I need to change on my iPad 2. I have received a couple of emails with PowerPoint slides in them that cannot be read on my iPad 2 but those same slides can be opened and read on my iPad1 and on my iPhone 5. I have checked and my software is up to date. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What apps do you currently have installed on your iPad 2? You would need something like Keynote, or Office HD on your iPad in order to open, edit, and save Powerpoint files. I use Office HD on my iPad 3 as it can open, edit, and save all MS Office files.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonTide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What apps do you currently have installed on your iPad 2? You would need something like Keynote, or Office HD on your iPad in order to open, edit, and save Powerpoint files. I use Office HD on my iPad 3 as it can open, edit, and save all MS Office files.
I don't have any apps like Keynote or Office HD on either of my devices but can read, not edit, office files attached to emails on my iPad 1 and iPhone 5 but not on my iPad 2. I can't figure out why the files are readable on 2 devices but not on the iPad 2.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You must have something installed on both your iPad 1 and iPhone that is enabling you to view Powerpoint files.

I found this LINK which shows how you can view Powerpoint files on your iPad 2. One of the methods is as I stated in my previous reply.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, he doesn't have to have anything special on the iPad to VIEW PowerPoint files:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Note the last post in that thread and the source.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks chas. Forgot all about Quick Look for iOS but it doesn't explain why he can't do the same on his iPad 2?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The most likely explanation I can guess at is that the full presentation hasn't been fully downloaded yet, so can't be opened. That's the case with emails I get with presentations in them ... I have to tap on them to download the whole thing, THEN I can open them.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonTide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The most likely explanation I can guess at is that the full presentation hasn't been fully downloaded yet, so can't be opened. That's the case with emails I get with presentations in them ... I have to tap on them to download the whole thing, THEN I can open them.
Unfortunately, the emails are fully downloaded but the files are not viewable on the iPad 2. It has to be a setting that is incorrect or some bug in the iPad 2 since it the same emails and attachments are viewable on the other two devices. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know that it will work, but can't hurt - try a hard reset.

Hold down both the home and power button together until you see the apple logo - takes ~10 sec.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonTide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Don't know that it will work, but can't hurt - try a hard reset.

Hold down both the home and power button together until you see the apple logo - takes ~10 sec.

Thanks. That was one of the first things I tried and it did not work.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I wonder if the problem could be one of file extensions? There are two associated with Powerpoint: PPT (a Powerpoint file) and PPS (a Powerpoint slideshow). Which one are the files you're having trouble with?

Until the mystery is resolved, here's a simple workaround: purchase a copy of GoodReader ($5 IIRC).
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonTide

Chas_M, the file extension is ppt. I will get an app as a workaround, but it just baffles me as to why the files work fine on IPad 1 and iPhone 5 but not the iPad 2. I guess I just like to find solutions to mysteries. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Before you buy an app to view PPT files, take a look at the Link I posted to you in my first reply. There are several free solutions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple will buy my old iPad 1 ! | Accessibility for partially blinded »