ipad mini for seniors - general question re: legibility
    looking at getting my mother an ipad 2nd gen or ipad mini for retirement/birthday gift. the mini is considerably smaller - any senior owners have any feedback about how easy it is to read the display since its smaller and is NOT retina? I know it depends on the vision of the user so its relative, but generally speaking, is the smaller form factor one that really hurts the users ability to view the screen and browse the web easily (as opposed to having to pinch to zoom every website you browse, etc.) is there a way to set a default font size / scaling in device settings that works for most of the iOS native apps and web browser, email app, etc?

( on a mission to slowly but surely convert my PC family to a mac family! )

thanks!

P.S. -

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Your best bet - head to a store and put eyes and fingers on.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I do a lot of work with seniors.... Most of them have a difficult time viewing the screen of an iPad (even with a full size retina screen). A Mini iPad or an iPhone is even worse. Without knowing how capable your Mother is of reading a small screen or using her hands to activate the touch controls, it would difficult to provide you with an answer. Only you know her best and what she would be comfortable with.

I do know some seniors that own iPhones and use them very well so it depends.....

Thanks,

you're right -- actually I think I'll bring her along for a suprise trip tot he store and see one hands on. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by tamak View Post
    looking at getting my mother an ipad 2nd gen or ipad mini for retirement/birthday gift. the mini is considerably smaller - any senior owners have any feedback about how easy it is to read the display since its smaller and is NOT retina? I know it depends on the vision of the user so its relative, but generally speaking, is the smaller form factor one that really hurts the users ability to view the screen and browse the web easily (as opposed to having to pinch to zoom every website you browse, etc.) is there a way to set a default font size / scaling in device settings that works for most of the iOS native apps and web browser, email app, etc?

( on a mission to slowly but surely convert my PC family to a mac family! )

thanks!

P.S. -

Thread Information