New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad only starts when opened up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toehh

toehh is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,

My iPad dropped from about 30cm and it wouldn't work anymore. I brought it to a repair shop and they said it worked when they looked at it and just charged me 30 for cleaning. They even said I was lucky because normally when opening up the screen breaks and it would cost 180,-. It worked when I received it from them.

After one day it was broken again. The software won't load, I just get the apple logo. Restoring in itunes just gives me errors. So I opened it up and when it was opened it booted without a problem. I closed it again and it wouldn't boot. Opened it up again and it worked.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Maybe a loose contact?

Thank you very much in advance,

Toehh
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Does the iPad boot from scratch each time you open and close the case? Once operational, can you hit the power button to put it to sleep and again to wake it up?

Did the shop open up the iPad to see if anything came loose (unlikely with such a small drop) and what actually entailed "€30 for cleaning"?? What exactly was cleaned??

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Does the iPad boot from scratch each time you open and close the case? Once operational, can you hit the power button to put it to sleep and again to wake it up?

Did the shop open up the iPad to see if anything came loose (unlikely with such a small drop) and what actually entailed "30 for cleaning"?? What exactly was cleaned??
The ipad can be put to sleep, powered down, booted up and open apps. It functions pretty good. If you ask me, I think they didn't even clean anything.

What could be pinched or loose that causes the ipad to be unable to load the software?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Ahh..I totally misread your initial post..you opened up the iPad and it works in that state and fails when you put it back together (I was thinking about opening and closing the cover for some reason)..

Does the iPad have any cover around it and a drop from almost a foot (sorry, can't think in metric.. ) might dislodge something depending on how it fell.

Can you start putting the iPad together and test if it boots up and works with each new screw you put in and tighten. I'm at an immediate loss as to what could prevent the software from loading. If the storage was connected over a cable, that could be a culprit. But the Flash is on the iPad's logicboard, so that can't be it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Ahh..I totally misread your initial post..you opened up the iPad and it works in that state and fails when you put it back together (I was thinking about opening and closing the cover for some reason)..

Does the iPad have any cover around it and a drop from almost a foot (sorry, can't think in metric.. ) might dislodge something depending on how it fell.

Can you start putting the iPad together and test if it boots up and works with each new screw you put in and tighten. I'm at an immediate loss as to what could prevent the software from loading. If the storage was connected over a cable, that could be a culprit. But the Flash is on the iPad's logicboard, so that can't be it..
I'll try to assemble again like you said but there actually are just 4 screws to tighten. The screws to mount the LCD. The screen is glued (iPad 2). I'll keep you updated. And if anyone thinks of something, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toehh

Okey I just assembled it and it kept working. But when I was pressing the bezel on the left side, the screen turned grey for a second and it restarted. It keeps working now but when I press the screen it sometimes hangs and restarts.

So something on the left hand side is conflicting when pressed...

Getting closer
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Excellent work thus far..

Based on the iPad 2 Teardown, can you tell us where the "left side" ends up being and we can figure out what parts are in that are and how it might be causing issues.

A short is one quick possibility..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Genuine (OEM) Apple Leather Smart Cover a good buy? | Hand written notes-can I ? »