New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Getting a new iPad Mini!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theoak

theoak is on a distinguished road

Well, sort of new. After debating for quite some time, I pulled the plug and ordered a white 32 GB Mini from Apple's refurb store. It is scheduled to be delivered this Friday. (I didn't know they shipped from Hong Kong.) I already ordered an inexpensive case and screen protection film from eBay and may later get a nicer case if this one is too cheesy.

The refurb store says that they replace the outside case and put in a brand new battery as part of the refurbishment process, so I hope this was a wise move, as I like my stuff to look new, even if it isn't.

I already had a gen 1 iPad, but never used it much, since I also have a Nook Tablet (last years model) that I use a lot. The iPad was just a little too big to take out and about, and a little heavy to lay in bed and read from. So I am thinking of just downloading the Nook App for reading, since the MIni has a slightly larger screen and is still a little lighter. I don't think the lower screen resolution will make much difference with this size screen. I also like that the Mini has cameras and bluetooth, as my Nook Tablet doesn't have either.

I've been a member here for a while, but mostly lurk. I will be probably lurking more now that I have a new device to explore. This forum is a great place to learn from. Keep up the good work!!

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Apart from the box you won't be able to tell the difference from brand new.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

I had read that before here on the forums. Thanks for the reassurance.

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

My new iPad Mini is a world traveler!!

FedEx Tracking info (so far) shows:

Shipped from SHENZHEN China
Next stop: LANTAU ISLAND Hong Kong
Next: CHEK LAP KOK Hong Kong
Next: TA YUAN HSIANG Taiwan
Next: SENNAN-SHI Japan
Next: ANCHORAGE, Alaska
Next: NARITA-SHI Japan

Due to be delivered tomorrow (Friday April 05, 2013) to USA

Can't wait!!

32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I get the Shenzen, China to Alaska..that's the usual trip and then it's all within the US..why is going to back to Japan? interesting..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

My iPad Mini arrived tody. As it has been said, if I didn't look closely at the box, I would never know it is a refurb. Condition is immaculate. I couldn't be more pleased. Installing apps now.

32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hi Theoak - congrats on your new iPad Mini - just bought my wife one a few weeks ago (32 GB Wi-Fi only) - she had a Nook Color and read reviews on the Nook app - apparently a lot of crashing issues, so may not be the best solution - she is keeping her Nook for the moment to read the books on the device - so a transition for her. Good luck and please let us know your experience if you decide to try the Nook app - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

Thanks Rad, So far, I have not experienced any crash with the Nook app. And I have installed and uninstalled about a million apps looking for the one that will let me print from a Canon ImageClass D480 printer. I have done hard resets, and everything, but so far, have had no crash. The page turn animation works flawlessly (I didn't know it had that, as the Nook Tablet does not do that.) Even after hard resets, the Nook app kept my place in my book. Crash problems may depend on what elese you have installed, or maybe B&N has updated it.

32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post
Thanks Rad, So far, I have not experienced any crash with the Nook app. And I have installed and uninstalled about a million apps looking for the one that will let me print from a Canon ImageClass D480 printer.............
To print from the iPad, an Air Print compatible printer is needed or a utility residing on your computer connected to the printer that mimics Apple's Air Print service - your printer is not on the list HERE - I have 2 non-Air Print printers (Canon Pixma IJ & Brother laser) but for nearly 2 years have been able to print to each using FingerPrint - a $20 purchase (a free trial is offered) - this program resides on your computer only (i.e. NOTHING needed on the iPad); now there are other options, and you might want to visit the Canon website to see if they have a similar solution? Good luck & let us know your solution! Dave
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

There seem to be quite a large number of printers that work with the iPad, provided you get the right app. I have no emergency since the iPad can print to my Brother MFC CN9440. But I like the Canon printer better, so I will investigate further. If I find a solution, I will post.

32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

I bought PrintnShare Pro app by EuroSmartz. In the app's setup. it has you email yourself a link to iPhone, iPad & Android Printing: There's an App for that - As seen in the Apple™ “Office” Ad which lets you download WePrint. Like FingerPrint, WePrint is a program that is installed to your desktop computer, which turns it into a print server. Then you use the PrintnShare Pro app on the iPad to connect to it. It is not quite so convenient as AirPrint, but works well. You just have to jump through a hoop or two to use it.

For instance, to print a web page, you need to insert a "z" in the web address just after the http, then press the "Go" button on the on-screen keyboard to bring up the print dialog box. Not as easy as the AirPrint button, but OK.

32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Hey theoak I also bought a refurb imac 24" desktop back in late 2009. Because I had never had an Apple product thus far, at that time I decided to get the 3 year warranty. I had no problems whatsoever until literally less than 2 months before the 3 year warranty was up. And it was probably just from normal wear and tear. I needed a new 1 TB hard drive. Lucky for me I had purchased the Applecare warranty as it was cheaper than the warranty.

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb SOLD // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb SOLD // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb //
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 3 decision ... | iPad mini club. »