Thread: iPad 1

Specs:
    MacBookPro(2011)iphone4S,ipad1
    iPad 1
    I have an iPad 1 and i am just asking if there is a way I can update it now from 5.1.1
    any further in IOS.
    it is still is in good condition and performs well, seems a shame that it can not be updated?
    cheers pete.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You're as far as you can go with an iPad 1. Maybe time to sell it and buy another?

Specs:
    ok thanks

I was also an early adapter, with the Ipad 1, and wonder why it can't be upgraded.

Seems silly to provide hardware but stop 'upgrading' security patches, etc. 2.5 years after introducing a product.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckBoater View Post
    I was also an early adapter, with the Ipad 1, and wonder why it can't be upgraded.

Seems silly to provide hardware but stop 'upgrading' security patches, etc. 2.5 years after introducing a product.
    Yes...many folks agree. We covered this in a thread a while ago when iOS 6 was first released.

I believe the confusion was with the fact that the hardware in some newer iPhones is the same as in the iPad 1. These newer iPhones can run iOS 6...but the iPad 1 is not supported. So it doesn't seem to be a hardware capability issue.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Apple hasn't said why they won't support it, but my guess would be that the operating RAM is too low for a good experience. Or they just feel that the iPad is on the same product cycle as the iPhones, ie 2 to 3 years rather than a "computer" life cycle of 4 to 5 years.

With such a new product it could be that models *other* than the first one will get a longer lifespan -- the iPad 2 is still available for example, and I fully expect that my 3rd-gen Retina iPad will be supported in the next iOS release ...

Specs:
    thanks for all your help......i will just have to retire my ipad probably to my grandkids

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecheer View Post
    thanks for all your help......i will just have to retire my ipad probably to my grandkids
    When you do...I'm sure (or I hope) that they would greatly appreciate it!!!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

It's great for reading, so I'll keep it for that sole purpose.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    The iPad 1 is can still run most apps just fine. Obviously stuff like Infinity Blade is out but most apps don't need that kind of graphic, RAM or process or power. I have a friend who's using his very happily and has no plans to upgrade to a newer model anytime soon. Even if he did I think he'd get the iPad 3 rather than a new one.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
    Yeah it does seem kind of weird that it doesn't support iOS 6. I still have the iPad 1 and the good news is it still supports a LOT of apps even with iOS 5.

I think they're just being safe with the hardware and RAM. Apple tends to do that. When you look at when multitasking came out on iOS 4, they didn't put it on the iPod Touch 2 or earlier iPhones saying it couldn't support the feature, even though it can actually handle like 2 - 4 apps after testing the hack to get it with a jailbreak. I guess Apple just wants the fastest and best experience with their products and software.

If you don't feel like upgrading, you probably still have until they make an iOS 7 to get some use out of it. And even then its possible to get another year or two out of it once the app store stops working with it if you jailbreak and use 3rd party apps on Cydia (that's what I did with my iOS 4.2.1 2nd gen iPod Touch). I mean, it'll still work for everything... you just won't be able to install the newest versions of apps and stuff once the majority of app store publishers set a new minimum iOS version.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecheer View Post
    That's really cute and nice thing to do

Thread Information