New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluecheer

bluecheer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro(2011)iphone4S,ipad1

I have an iPad 1 and i am just asking if there is a way I can update it now from 5.1.1
any further in IOS.
it is still is in good condition and performs well, seems a shame that it can not be updated?
cheers pete.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're as far as you can go with an iPad 1. Maybe time to sell it and buy another?
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

ok thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

I was also an early adapter, with the Ipad 1, and wonder why it can't be upgraded.

Seems silly to provide hardware but stop 'upgrading' security patches, etc. 2.5 years after introducing a product.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBoater View Post
I was also an early adapter, with the Ipad 1, and wonder why it can't be upgraded.

Seems silly to provide hardware but stop 'upgrading' security patches, etc. 2.5 years after introducing a product.
Yes...many folks agree. We covered this in a thread a while ago when iOS 6 was first released.

I believe the confusion was with the fact that the hardware in some newer iPhones is the same as in the iPad 1. These newer iPhones can run iOS 6...but the iPad 1 is not supported. So it doesn't seem to be a hardware capability issue.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple hasn't said why they won't support it, but my guess would be that the operating RAM is too low for a good experience. Or they just feel that the iPad is on the same product cycle as the iPhones, ie 2 to 3 years rather than a "computer" life cycle of 4 to 5 years.

With such a new product it could be that models *other* than the first one will get a longer lifespan -- the iPad 2 is still available for example, and I fully expect that my 3rd-gen Retina iPad will be supported in the next iOS release ...
QUOTE Thanks
bluecheer

thanks for all your help......i will just have to retire my ipad probably to my grandkids
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheer View Post
thanks for all your help......i will just have to retire my ipad probably to my grandkids
When you do...I'm sure (or I hope) that they would greatly appreciate it!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

It's great for reading, so I'll keep it for that sole purpose.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The iPad 1 is can still run most apps just fine. Obviously stuff like Infinity Blade is out but most apps don't need that kind of graphic, RAM or process or power. I have a friend who's using his very happily and has no plans to upgrade to a newer model anytime soon. Even if he did I think he'd get the iPad 3 rather than a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

Yeah it does seem kind of weird that it doesn't support iOS 6. I still have the iPad 1 and the good news is it still supports a LOT of apps even with iOS 5.

I think they're just being safe with the hardware and RAM. Apple tends to do that. When you look at when multitasking came out on iOS 4, they didn't put it on the iPod Touch 2 or earlier iPhones saying it couldn't support the feature, even though it can actually handle like 2 - 4 apps after testing the hack to get it with a jailbreak. I guess Apple just wants the fastest and best experience with their products and software.

If you don't feel like upgrading, you probably still have until they make an iOS 7 to get some use out of it. And even then its possible to get another year or two out of it once the app store stops working with it if you jailbreak and use 3rd party apps on Cydia (that's what I did with my iOS 4.2.1 2nd gen iPod Touch). I mean, it'll still work for everything... you just won't be able to install the newest versions of apps and stuff once the majority of app store publishers set a new minimum iOS version.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheer View Post
That's really cute and nice thing to do
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dock for Ipad Retina??? | Disabling touchpad »