Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Bought used ipad through mail, what to check before warranty expires ? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/296329-bought-used-ipad-through-mail-what-check-before-warranty-expires.html)

ycl1688 03-11-2013 08:59 AM

Bought used ipad through mail, what to check before warranty expires ?

I bought used ipad 3rd generation thru mail, warranty expires by Mar 15, worth it to get to Apple store to check for its function ? if not what to look for ?

mrplow 03-11-2013 09:20 AM

Do a full restore in iTunes.

Try the buttons, headphone jack, cameras, charging ok. Make sure free space reported on.

Enable multi touch gestures make sure all fingers detected. Install a demanding game, like real racing 3,

That'll give it a pretty all round workout

pigoo3 03-11-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ycl1688 (Post 1501524)
I bought used ipad 3rd generation thru mail, warranty expires by Mar 15, worth it to get to Apple store to check for its function ? if not what to look for ?

Not sure exactly what you mean by..."Bought used iPad 3ed gen. thru mail". I mean I know what the "mail" is...but what you didn't tell us is how long have you had this iPad? Did you just get it 2 days ago, 2 weeks ago, 2 months ago...what?

My point is...iPads are pretty simple devices (not nearly as complex as a computer in terms of parts or things that can go wrong). So if you've had it for a while...and it's working fine...then there's nothing to really be concerned about.

If you take it to the Apple Store for a "check"...all they're probably going to do it is turn it on...launch a few apps...turn the cameras on, and navigate a few webpages. If the iPad does all this...then it's probably fine.:)

Anything else that would be wrong with it...you would see. Cracked screen, cosmetic damage to the case, buttons not working properly.

- Nick

ycl1688 03-11-2013 12:02 PM

will be in hand day after tomorrow.

pigoo3 03-11-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ycl1688 (Post 1501586)
will be in hand day after tomorrow.

Ahh...very interesting...you don't even have it yet! A VERY different situation than I envisioned from the initial post.

I think that if you do what "mrplow" and I have suggested above...you should be fine.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

chas_m 03-11-2013 11:57 PM

If there is an Apple store near you ... by all means make an appointment, drop in at the appointed time, tell em your story and let them run a diagnostic for you. You still have a few days to buy the extended warranty if you wish, but you can't after the original warranty runs out.

I would say that if the iPad checks out okay, you can skip the extended warranty. If they find anything, they'll fix it.

ycl1688 03-12-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks, guys.
Will be in apple store as soon as I get it, And report back.