New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Ipad 2 help, broken chip!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitepanda

whitepanda is on a distinguished road

hey guys!
So i have 2 iPads that I am working on at the moment and had a few questions and pictures for reference. The first iPad I am working on is a wifi iPad 2 with a bad black light. What happened was, an unprofessional repair was done on it and the device wasn't shut off before being worked on and shorted the black light chip. Now I know that the chip will needed to be replaced and resoldered but where can i buy the back light chip to preform this repair?

Second iPad i am working on is another iPad 2. i was replacing the screen and when disconnecting the LCD connector I saw a chip right behind the connector was lose and I touched it and it came undone. Now when I try to power on the iPad all i get is a blacklit screen and it makes noise, but you can not see any icons or logos. You can also hear the iPad. I tested it and checked it with another LCD and the same problem arose so i have narrowed it down to that chip breaking off is the cause. Where can i get this chip also?

broken chip

board without broken chip

sorry i know the pictures are not the best but the broken chip is the first picture where you sort of see red and no 4th chip
Please give me any tips and tricks on doing these repairs as well

Thanks for your help and input!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'd start by looking at ifixit.com

You'll find good teardown descriptions and pictures as well as links to replacement parts

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mccarthyl715

mccarthyl715 is on a distinguished road

I also have a very similar issue...the digitizer was replaced by someone and now everything works except the lcd shows a green hue. I have discovered that one of the lcd filters is missing and must have came dislodged from the logic board during replacement. After attempting to transplant a filter from an ipod touch 4th generation to no avail, i have decided to sit and wait until i come across a dead ipad to steal the filter from. I have included pictures of the lcd connector with no chip and with one soldered on. (This is a different chip then yours)

We just need to get these chips...then we will be all set. Let me know if you find anything!

-Luke
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does onlive desktop works in IPAD 4 here in philippines? | Dock for Ipad Retina??? »