New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Pages for iPad questions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Can somebody with a windose only system open a pages document?
Can somebody with an iPad open a word document?
Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What exactly are you asking? Pages does not run in Windows - if you're asking about opening a Pages document in Windows that was saved as a Word document that's different. Most Pages documents saved as Word will open in Windows Word without a problem. There may be some incompatibilities due to different fonts and layouts, but most can be overcome.

Word documents can be opened and edited on an iPad by using one of many apps for the iPad that can work with Office documents. I use "Quick Office Pro" on my iPad. It opens and edits Word, PP, and Excel documents.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Sorry for the esoteric question,
I was trying to make the question brief but I messed up there,

To cut a short story long!
Daughter is doing final year honours at uni,
Has always been a Microsoft user but is noticing that her friends are now using their ipads

All of her studies and access to data has been from windows based programs, namely, word documents

At the moment, she is carrying around her rather large windows laptop, the majority of her friends are using ipads and nearly all that have small laptops are Macs and are running parallels,

If she gets the Pages app on an iPad, can she open word docs?
If she sends a submission written in pages, (on an iPad), is there going to be a conflict as the uni is still running windows
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
If she gets the Pages app on an iPad, can she open word docs?
Yes, but if she has to work with a lot of Word documents, I recommend using a different app. Actually, there are several iOS applications I would recommend before Pages in that case:

"QuickOffice Pro"

"Office HD"

They're available to buy from the iTunes App store. Both of those apps can open, edit, and save MS Word, Powerpoint, and Excel documents.

Quote:
If she sends a submission written in pages, (on an iPad), is there going to be a conflict as the uni is still running windows
Documents written and saved as Word docs in Pages are usually OK, but there are some differences that may result in the formatting being off. The full Microsoft Office for the Mac 2011 is 100% compatible with the MS Windows version, however, there is no version for the iPad. The iPad does not run OS X, it runs iOS and Microsoft has yet to support iOS.

Perhaps you can consider buying your daughter a MacBook Air or the entry level MacBook Pro 13" machine for school rather than an iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Thank you for your very informative reply,
Much appreciated,

I now have a better handle on the direction to take,

My Daughter is asking me as she is aware I talk to you guys and that I am going down the Apple track myself,

She did mention today that there has been an increase in Macs this year and that most were running Office for windows as well

Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Actually, Word and Excel were Mac programs before there WAS such a thing as Windows.

Your daughter's friends with Mac are likely running the Mac version of Office.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Thank you Chas,
I'm sure your right,
I guess being competent with both OS will be a great help as I see a lot of colleges in my state are supplying Macs to their students
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini iPad Verizon | Swype for iPad »