New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Kindle calling?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bidwin

bidwin is on a distinguished road

I'd like to get a small tablet. I'd use it most for e-books, but would also want to make video calls to Macs/Ipads. Cost and e-reader features give Kindle an edge over Ipad mini, but FaceTime gives the mini an edge over Kindle. Is there any way to make video calls from a Kindle to Macs/Ipads running FaceTime? Is Skype to FaceTime possible? I don't want to ask the Mac/Ipad users to load Skype.
Thanks,
bidwin
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

FaceTime is only possible between Apple devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Macs). Second, you have to have the FaceTime application in all platforms to make this work, it does not work across multiple applications..

Skype is a good alternative that works with many more platforms including all iDevices. But if you are imposing a restriction to just use what is available without installing anything new and you want to rely on FaceTIme then you'll have to stick with some iDevice..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

FaceTime is OS X/iOS only. On top of that, the two are very different systems under the hood so you can't simply call one from the other.

If you want to go cross platform, you'll need to use a cross platform solution such as Skype. I have no idea if Skype is available in Amazon's store (might want to check that although I imagine it probably is) and as such, you'll want to look at what's available.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A "real" Kindle for e-books is a supportable idea (but of course doesn't do video conferencing). A Kindle Fire in place of an iPad mini is a much more dubious proposition, since you lose the "real" Kindle's main advantage (superior screen for e-reading) and gain nothing over the iPad mini (and take a look at the reviews of the Kindle Fire -- not really very good, even accounting for the price).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anybody use an iPad for work ? | Mini iPad Verizon »