New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

This came out of nowhere real quick.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I heard about this yesterday from a daily newsletter I get from an investing firm. As of yesterday it was still a rumor...but seems to be a fact now:

Apple - Press Info - Apple Increases iPad with Retina Display to 128GB

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

This probably makes it a little tougher for some people to choose between a new iPad and a MBAir.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
This probably makes it a little tougher for some people to choose between a new iPad and a MBAir.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. The price tag on a 128gig iPad (even higher with the cellular version @ $929.00)...certainly is getting real close to the cost of entry level Apple laptops.

This may certainly start a "platform conflict" between notebooks and tablets...and may give us a better idea of what folks prefer...or what Apple wants us to "prefer".

Of course we have discussed before that a tablet is not necessarily a 100% replacement for a notebook/laptop computer. But when the price tags get this close...I'm thinking consumers are bound to get even more confused.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I guess I'm still trying to understand what Apple is doing with all these releases of the iPad?

Anyone notice how much Apple stock has dropped on the market lately? Maybe an indication of things to come?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

There's absolutely no way I would get an iPad over a MBA. Never. I'd rather put in the extra $100, or get a refurb MBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I guess I'm still trying to understand what Apple is doing with all these releases of the iPad?

Anyone notice how much Apple stock has dropped on the market lately? Maybe an indication of things to come?
I honestly think they are rushing products to increase their shares. I have a few Apple stocks along with an assortment of others in my portfolio, and my Apple holdings alone went down $4000 from the highs. Luckily, I have others to make up for that "loss." I still want them to increase those stock prices though, but at the same time, I have a feeling they are falling into the same schemes as large corporations that focus on their stock values.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The 128GB iPad is not for you.

Actually, I'm being serious there: it's not really intended for most people. Apple itself in the PR release explains it best: it's aimed at professionals who need the extra storage space and are using a tablet specifically for what they are doing. Field audio recording, photographers, that sort of thing.

It can also of course be used to store vast media or music libraries, if one wants to do that and prefers the iPad over the MBA for whatever reason, but the reason *Apple* created it is to address the needs of what I'll call "iPad professionals."
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Exactly chas. The super sized iPad is for people that need an iPad with a large storage capacity. You wouldn't see a doctor running around with a MBA typing in exam notes and stuff like that, they'll be using an iPad. And when you add in all the client data, and specialty data like xrays, MRI, etc reports for all their patients.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
And when you add in all the client data, and specialty data like xrays, MRI, etc reports for all their patients.
I can't imagine that many doctors keep all that information on their iPads. Tablets of all shapes and forms are a disaster relative to computers when it comes to security. There's a reason that most medical (and legal) workstations require some sort of biometric authentication. I won't lie - if I saw my doctor using a tablet to store my medical records, I'd have a problem with it.

Back to the topic. 128GB of data? Really? It would just be easier if external storage options were available instead of jacking up the price to meet what is obviously a demand for more storage.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I can't imagine that many doctors keep all that information on their iPads.
+1. My family doctor uses a special tablet that's tied directly into his office computer, however, no medical or patient information is stored on the tablet itself. And with the current hipaa laws being what they are with regard to patient privacy, I don't foresee the "big iPad" being used very much in the medical field.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Just because your doctor is using a computer doesn't make your information secure. I've been to plenty of offices and hospitals that have their computers sitting out - with the power button available and USB ports open. If you can reboot a computer - you can get in.

You can have data encryption - wireless encryption - vpn - remote wipe etc that can secure data. If the DOD says they can use an iPhone/iPad/Android - it should be good enough for medical use.

I certainly could use a 128GB iPad. Use the iPad as a temporary holding pen for photos using a camera card kit. I am at 64GB - and full with just Apps.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Just because your doctor is using a computer doesn't make your information secure. I've been to plenty of offices and hospitals that have their computers sitting out - with the power button available and USB ports open. If you can reboot a computer - you can get in.
True but, in part, that's negligence on the part of the IT department and/or the doctor. Beyond that, losing a tablet is a much more likely scenario than a workstation (not to mention theft). So, I agree that being on a computer doesn't make it secure beyond doubt but I do think it is a much more secure option than a tablet (of any variety).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
You can have data encryption - wireless encryption - vpn - remote wipe etc that can secure data. If the DOD says they can use an iPhone/iPad/Android - it should be good enough for medical use.
I don't have an issue with tablets in medicine in theory but I fear that their design as consumer devices makes them problematic for a field that uses devices in very different ways. Now, if data was streamed (over secure connections of course) and not stored on the device, I might be okay with it.

And here I sit in a city that, more than a year ago, rolled out more than 3,000 iPads to doctors and hired 70 developers to create applications specific to the needs of doctors and nurses. Looks like I might be on the wrong side of this debate (despite my reservations).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Beyond that, losing a tablet is a much more likely scenario than a workstation (not to mention theft).
This was always the biggest security issue that I've heard. From what I understand - the locking/data encryption/remote wipe - combo that is available on pretty much all devices is the reason why IT/Government/Schools/Doctors are willing to allow tablets(consumer devices) now. As soon as the device is reported missing - IT can send a wipe command thus securing the data.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Oh, I hear you. The fact that I can do it as a general "joe consumer" means that the tech works and is easy. You also can't remove the storage which adds a physical barrier.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it works or people wouldn't be doing it. However, I'm still more comfortable with workstations as the primary method of data input and retention.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« empty events in iTunes | iPad mini - emails »