New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Resizing images taken with the iPad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
I travelled light the last couple of days,
needed an image of a set-up and captured it with the iPad, had to send it via email,
Not a serious job but a friend said it was still too large for the "average" recipient

I normally resize images with another program on the PC but noticed iPhoto and PS Express could not do it

Is there another app that will do it on the iPad?

Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

iPhoto for iOS (iPad): Edit, resize, or remove a photo in a journal

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Tks for your reply,
I already had iPhoto but could not work out how to resize,
I copied the image I put in the journal, then selected the smaller option and then moved it to email?
Is that how I should have done it ?
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, can't help with the specifics currently - sold my iPad - and am too senile to remember specifically how I did it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyraz

Thyraz is on a distinguished road

Had exactly the same problem as I'm now traveling with my new iPad Mini and my camera.

For photo editing I use Snapseed and Photoforge, which are great, but they lack the possibility to resize pictures and choose the jpeg compression yourself.

The "Reduce" app solves this problem:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/redu...l=de&ls=1&mt=8
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

I have a number of photo apps on my iPad 2 - the one I use for re-sizing is Photogene (click the name for a description - a $3 app @ the moment) - when exporting an image, an option is provided for re-sizing.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Tks for the heads-up on Photogene,
Does it allow you to choose the amount of pixels on the longest side?
I'm looking for one where I can say change the longest side to 900
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
Thyraz

Thyraz is on a distinguished road

resizing to the longe edge of an image is exactly what "Reduce" does.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyraz View Post
resizing to the longe edge of an image is exactly what "Reduce" does.
Thank you for your prompt reply,
The reason I asked is that the figure of 900 on the long side is what is required on one of my photographic forums and the 900 seems to fit most places OK
One of the programs I have, PhotoRaw will resize and change to jpeg but has set sizes when resizing, either too long or too short,
Ok for viewing but too large to send

I guess I would not be asking this if my laptop was not getting worse and new Mac is at least a few months away
As it is, I'm backing up every day in case of catastrophic failure, and on two drives
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's also worth looking at ArtStudio.

It may seem like more than you need but I've been 'caught short' away from my Mac or a PC and there's little that can't be achieved in ArtStudio.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
Thank you for your prompt reply,
The reason I asked is that the figure of 900 on the long side is what is required on one of my photographic forums and the 900 seems to fit most places OK
One of the programs I have, PhotoRaw will resize and change to jpeg but has set sizes when resizing, either too long or too short,
Ok for viewing but too large to send.............
Hi Gary - I've attached a screenshot from Photogene showing the export re-sizing options, which are fixed to the ones shown; 900 across does not seem to be a choice. I'm surprised that a photo forum does not have its own re- sizing options?

Good luck and let's know your solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (169.3 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

From ArtStudio - free form image resize
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.2 KB, 18 views)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Gary - I've attached a screenshot from Photogene showing the export re-sizing options, which are fixed to the ones shown; 900 across does not seem to be a choice. I'm surprised that a photo forum does not have its own re- sizing options?

Good luck and let's know your solution.
Thank you for posting this reply,
The actual app looks very good
Yes, the photo forum just expects everybody to have their "photoshop" and PC or Mac doing the work
Starting to appear like I'm asking too much from the iPad I guess,
After all, it cannot be expected to have the processing power of a "real" computer
I do have programs that do the resizing easy but for Mac or PC only

Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
From ArtStudio - free form image resize
Well that app has a whole bunch of options,
After having a look, I was able to download the pdf of their user manual,
A quick read appears like it will do the job,
The only thing that does look like it may be a stumbling block is the maximum allowable
size
Where as my longest side with the D700 is 4256 on the long side
But I guess their maximum allowable size is for up-sizing an image
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

ArtStudio will open pretty much any size image but for editing it resizes to it's max canvas of 2448 x 3264 and below.

Photoforge 2 can handle huge images and also has freeform resize options

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad For Business | Ipad 2 image retention »