New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

does anyone leave their ipad naked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

easternbum

easternbum is on a distinguished road

just got a new ipad for a xmas gift and part of the reason I was interested in purchasing one was for the simplicity of the unit-is a case really necessary-are they that fragile-was thinking of making it my own with custom skin and getting a padded sleeve for transport-are the cases sturdy enough for use on your lap-they almost seem more suited to table top use-no matter which case I read reviews on, they all seem to have issues-would like to hear from others who have chosen to go without accesories
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have had my iPad 1 since the first day they were available and it looks like new .
I only use a netbook case to transport it outside my home.
I use this when its on my desk. http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think you will probably think twice after it gets knocked out of your hands and lands on the floor.

Saw this happen today at the Apple store. Business man had it sitting on top of his case. Employee comes by and bumps into him and then it lands face down on the floor.

I could tell by his face that he wasn't happy. Vein throbbing on the side of his forehead and I think everything above his neck turned red.

I flinched when I saw it. It was like watching something horrible happen in slow motion. Needless to say I felt sorry for the guy. I didn't stick around to see the damage cause I was on my way out.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I drop my iPad way too much to leave it bare.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

For starters, might I recommend you use periods instead of dash as your sentence separator..takes longer to read your post..

As the others have stated, having a case is good since the iPad is something you'll hold and carry around and will lay down in various spots in various angles and will eventually drop. The case will ensure that the damage is contained..

I only had a smart cover from the day I bought my iPad 2 and it served me well for a long time until my daughter dropped it on it's corner and cracked a small portion of the front LCD. After that I ended up getting a full cover for it and I have dropped it at least a half a dozen more times on carpet, hard wood and tile and there has been no additional damage..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The iPad is not particularly fragile, but most of us like the look of it so much that we strongly desire to keep it free of little scratches and dings. that's the reason for the cases, not really (other than, say, Otterbox-type stuff) to protect it from dropping.

I mean, accidents can happen, and you'd want some protection in case that does. But I find that simply remembering how much one costs makes me hold it carefully, navigate carefully when I'm holding it, and generally act like I've got a baby in my arms. So far this philosophy has stood me and my various iOS devices, all of which are holding up pretty well appearance and functionality wise, in good stead.
QUOTE Thanks
easternbum

easternbum is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. Scratches don't bother me, as I just want it to remain functional until new technology brings about its demise. From what I have observed, most folk hold the ipad in their hand while sitting on a couch, so that is why I felt a case may be more of a nuisance than anything else. I have laptops, if I need to use something on a table, or do any serious typing. Think I may pick up one of those "rubberized" skins to give it some extra grip, yet provide some protection for those inevitable drops.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As chas stated I have held on to my iDevices knowing what the replacement would cost and I just like the way they all look without covers so far over the years I have either been real responsible or lucky you choose.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
does anyone leave their ipad naked
I see no need to put on clothes, just because I'm leaving my iPad.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have an iPad and use a screen protector (I hate scratches) and the leather smart cover and a marware back. very minimalistic but if you pay attention, it will work fine.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
As chas stated I have held on to my iDevices knowing what the replacement would cost and I just like the way they all look without covers so far over the years I have either been real responsible or lucky you choose.
I would vote for lucky, but it is different for everyone.

In my case, my dexterity ends at my wrists. Due to age, injury etc. my hands don't handle very well anymore. As a result, it isn't just iPads but everything; the question isn't if but when I will drop it, so protection is a must.
If you can get by without it great . . . but I can't.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I would vote for lucky, but it is different for everyone.

In my case, my dexterity ends at my wrists. Due to age, injury etc. my hands don't handle very well anymore. As a result, it isn't just iPads but everything; the question isn't if but when I will drop it, so protection is a must.
If you can get by without it great . . . but I can't.
I have to agree. I care about scratches and dings cause it hurts resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I see no need to put on clothes, just because I'm leaving my iPad.
Oh you. *・゜゚・*:.。..。.・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.・゜゚・*

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

I tried to go bare when I first got it, then I got a scratch on the back so it was time to get a case. No screen protector though.

15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I realise I forgot to answer the question, actually!

Most of the time, my iPad goes "naked" except for a clear rubbery back cover to protect from scratches and to give it a better grip.

When I take it away from home, I put it in a portfolio style case that a) reduces the chance of theft and b) adds more protection should I trip or something.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

How ironic that no one covers the screen because that's where my iPad developed a scratch one week after we bought it. No idea how it happened (I blame my wife, she blames me) but I sure wish I had put some kind of screen protection on it. I definitely will when I get my next one. I prefer a front-and-back ghost armor or invisible shield and no case whatsoever. That's how I did my iPhone 4 and now my iPhone 5 too. Why hide that beautiful body?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Mini Questions | App syncing on iPad »