New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Will I Be Able to Use This?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gizmo8899

gizmo8899 is an unknown at this point

I'm looking at a copy of a book that is "iPad compatible." It says that it is PDF. I do not own an iPad, but I do have a MacBook Pro. I am looking to buy the book to cut and paste some passages into a study summary for an exam (yes, this is legal and within fair use!) If I buy this iPad Book, will I be able to copy and paste from it? I don't want to spend $60 and find out that I cannot.

Here is the book, if it helps:

The Law of Evidence, 6th edition :: Irwin Law Inc.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would say no.

According to the very first page of their site:

Quote:
Welcome to the Irwin Law Online BookStore.

This digital catalog only works with the Irwin Law Reader iPad app.
Our iPad App enhances your reading experience with rich content and tools.
Best I can tell, with the Nu-Book format, when you purchase a book in that format you get a "token" which is redeemable only inside the specific Nu-Book app for which it was purchased.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gizmo8899

gizmo8899 is an unknown at this point

Thanks for the reply, bobtomay. I know very little about iPads... Would it be possible to download the app onto my MacBook Pro? Also, if I borrowed an iPad (a friend has one), could I then render the book into PDF? I really just want it for copy-paste purposes.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, you will not be able to download it to your MacBook Pro.
It "requires" the Irwin Law Library Reader" iPad app.
That is the only place you are going to be able to download it and read it.

I am quite sure it is using some form of DRM that would need to be cracked to move it onto "and" read it on any other device.

If you want to know "for sure", you need to contact the seller.
They are the ones that can tell you "for sure" what you are able to do with it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard/stand/case for new iPad 4 | Magazines quitting »