Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If you're looking for a light weight device that's easy to tote around and to do photo editing, the MacBook Air would be my choice not an iPad. Of course the MacBook Pro 13" machine offers more in upgrades but is heavier and larger than the Air.

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Certainly not as your primary editor - if you're a serious photographer, but there are a million cutesy apps out there that are fun to run images through - and quite a few really good ones. It wouldn't replace your computer if you're a hardcore photoshopper. If you're considering a MBP or iPad - there's really no comparison. The MBP wins.

Specs:
    iMac, Mac Book
    Thumbs up iPad for photo editing
    Are the new iPads good for photo editing. I have an iMac and a MacBook for travel.
    Need another travel tool for myself. I am considering a MBP or iPad. I live in Europe for 6 mos and 6 mos in US.

Would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Specs:
    iMac, Mac Book
    MBP v. iPad for photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    Certainly not as your primary editor - if you're a serious photographer, but there are a million cutesy apps out there that are fun to run images through - and quite a few really good ones. It wouldn't replace your computer if you're a hardcore photoshopper. If you're considering a MBP or iPad - there's really no comparison. The MBP wins.
    Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I like to travel light but I need a good machine for editing and uploading my photos.

Appreciated!

Janem

Specs:
    iMac, Mac Book
    MBP v. iPad for photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    If you're looking for a light weight device that's easy to tote around and to do photo editing, the MacBook Air would be my choice not an iPad. Of course the MacBook Pro 13" machine offers more in upgrades but is heavier and larger than the Air.
    Thank for the ideas and evaluation. I am concerned since I shoot around 5 photos a week, edit and upload to backup.

Again thanks since I had not even thought about the MacBook Air.

FWIW, the iPad isn't bad for "light" editing if you know what you're doing but it probably won't compare to a computer if your edits are serious.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    If they had Lightroom for the iPad then maybe.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    The iPad, contrary to what everyone's written above, is PERFECTLY capable as a photo editor, since MOST people only want to do basic editing to a photo: crop, brighten a little, maybe colour correct, stuff like that.

The iPad has a 99% color-accurate screen (on the two existing Retina models), so it's actually FANTASTIC for quickly touching-up a photo. There's also access to a handful of "effects-oriented" programs and even a very very basic form of Photoshop (Photoshop Express).

However, if you're doing any serious retouching, restoration, pro work, heavy editing -- that sort of thing ... you can't really yet use an iPad for that.

Thread Information