New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Slow YouTube and data on iPad 4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zachhockey2

Zachhockey2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB

I got my first iPad a week ago, a WiFi iPad 4, and I've experienced nothing but slow YouTube buffering speeds when playing high definition videos. However, it's not always slow. Sometimes it buffers a few times faster than video playback time, and sometimes it just barely keeps up. Most of the time it lags behind and forces me to wait multiple times, for long periods of time, to let it buffer (unacceptable). I rarely have YouTube buffering issues on my computer and they only last for short periods of time. It's been a week now.

Speedtest.net results:
11-20Mbsp on my Macbook Pro (10.8.2)
5-9Mbps on my iPad (6.0.1)
7-12Mbps on my iPhone (6.0.1)
Upload on all of them are ~2-2.5Mbps

First of all, why does the iPad get such poor data speeds compared to my other devices? Secondly, what is going on with YouTube buffering? As i'm writing this, I'm attempting to buffer a 1080p video on my computer and its doing horribly. I did another speed test and got 14.34Mbps down, so its clearly not my bandwidth. I've reset my router and modem, didn't help.

I'm a Youtube junkie and part of the reason I bought this iPad was for viewing YouTube so I'm considerably upset about this. I hope someone has some advice that's helpful

Edit: I use the app, McTube on my iPad to view YouTube videos.
Edit 2: I found a google thread discussing this: http://productforums.google.com/foru...be/W9ME8NdYlYk

Apple Rocks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Why not try some different players and see if that makes a difference?
QUOTE Thanks
Zachhockey2

Zachhockey2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Why not try some different players and see if that makes a difference?

The official YouTube app does the same thing. It might be something going on with my Internet provider. Youtube aside, why does the iPad get such low down speeds overall compared to my other devices?

Apple Rocks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

1. There's an official YouTube player for the iPad under iOS 6? Does YouTube know about this?

2. Too many variables to answer that, but do you at least have a dual-band router that can separate 802.11n from 802.11g? That would probably clear up the issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Button doesn't work | Looking for the right cover for me??!!?? »