New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Want 2 use ipad mini as my phone.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Turbodadd

Turbodadd is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, and gals. I am Brett from Utah. I have a complicated question. I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my iPhone(which i love love love) and getting an ipad mini as my sole mobile device.

1st problem.. The ipad mini is not a phone... Yes I know. I would just use a text free app and make my calls on that... Sketchy maybe.. But it would work.

2nd problem... I currently have unlimited data on VZW and am not really willing to give that up. Is there a way to roll my data plan from my phone to an ipad mini. I have spoke with VZW and they tell me no way. But I am trying to find some other way, then I can have unlimited 4g on an ipad mini and use it as my phone.

If all else fails. I can suspend my phone for a few months and get a sprint 4g ipad mini and try that. I just know VZW is the best and fastest.

Thoughts? Suggestions please. Or should I wait for the ipad mini 2 with retina LOL

Thanks, just thinking out loud

Brett
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Nobody else has thought of this??
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. The iPad is always going to be a craptastic phone. Because its not a phone, and trying to make it one will a) look silly and b) cost you. Conceivably you could, for example, pay Skype $60 a year for a US phone number (so people can actually call you as well as you calling out). Along with a Bluetooth headset this probably would work kinda-sorta but you'll get variable quality, have to take the iPad with you EVERYWHERE and rely on always being in Wi-Fi for the best connection.

2. If Verizon says they won't do it, that's the end of the discussion. There's no "other way."
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

When the iPod touch was first released there were similar questions around that since it was the same size as the iPhone, but all solutions were kludges and had issues. Use the iPad mini for what it is designed and it will excel at it, trying to make it do what it wasn't designed for is setting yourself up for disappointment..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
1. The iPad is always going to be a craptastic phone. Because its not a phone, and trying to make it one will a) look silly and b) cost you. Conceivably you could, for example, pay Skype $60 a year for a US phone number (so people can actually call you as well as you calling out). Along with a Bluetooth headset this probably would work kinda-sorta but you'll get variable quality, have to take the iPad with you EVERYWHERE and rely on always being in Wi-Fi for the best connection.

2. If Verizon says they won't do it, that's the end of the discussion. There's no "other way."
I am planning on getting the Cellular model if I do get the mini. I wouldnt need blue tooth headphones, I could use the standard ones that have the mic built in for dictation ect.
I want to eliminate a device not add another to the fleet... I want to simplify.. I would plan on taking the mini with me everywhere, thats the idea. I would use it @ work constantly, I do all my scheduling for work on ical, so it would improve on that.

Agreed the phone interface and reliability would be a gamble, but who needs to talk on the phone that much.. I text mostly and e mail when I need to send large amounts of info.

Plus I could facetime the people I call the most anyway( 99% of family and extended family have iPhones)

All in all, It would be a HUGE step up with a small adjustment to the phone aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
When the iPod touch was first released there were similar questions around that since it was the same size as the iPhone, but all solutions were kludges and had issues. Use the iPad mini for what it is designed and it will excel at it, trying to make it do what it wasn't designed for is setting yourself up for disappointment..
Ya I remember that. But Im not setting myself up for dissapointment, I know it wont be as nice as using my iphone, but I and intrigued by the idea... Maybe thats all it is, a beautiful idea...

Im sure they will make the mini a phone on the next go round, or so.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodadd View Post
Ya I remember that. But Im not setting myself up for dissapointment, I know it wont be as nice as using my iphone, but I and intrigued by the idea... Maybe thats all it is, a beautiful idea...

Im sure they will make the mini a phone on the next go round, or so.
No they won't. Apple will not do anything to harm the very nice position that the iPhone is sitting in right now. Each of the line ups that have been created exist to serve a particular niche/purpose..they will not create a product that will suddenly start competing with another line..

So iPod shuffle/Nano serve their purpose for mobile music, iPod Touch adds the bigger screen and gaming to mix. iPhone is the one and only phone, iPad mini and iPad serve the tablet needs varying in size due to competition..but they will continue to operate in those separate markets never to cross..

Apple would be silly to adversely affect any of the existing line ups since they're so lucrative..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
No they won't. Apple will not do anything to harm the very nice position that the iPhone is sitting in right now. Each of the line ups that have been created exist to serve a particular niche/purpose..they will not create a product that will suddenly start competing with another line..

So iPod shuffle/Nano serve their purpose for mobile music, iPod Touch adds the bigger screen and gaming to mix. iPhone is the one and only phone, iPad mini and iPad serve the tablet needs varying in size due to competition..but they will continue to operate in those separate markets never to cross..

Apple would be silly to adversely affect any of the existing line ups since they're so lucrative..
Ya I see what your saying.. .Would be cool though.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Frankly, it wouldn't be cool and it would cut into revenue streams..at the end of the day Apple is a business looking to make as much money as possible..and they're not going to jeopardize the good things they have going..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
Frankly, it wouldn't be cool and it would cut into revenue streams..at the end of the day Apple is a business looking to make as much money as possible..and they're not going to jeopardize the good things they have going..
Oh, I completely understand that... Just looking for the "perfect device" which the iphone is, just not quite big enough... ENTER ipad mini.

This isnt really a discussion on Apples business practices... We all know how that works...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

This isnt really a discussion on Apples business practices... We all know how that works...
Sure we do…it's called "Success"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Sure we do…it's called "Success"!
- Nick
+1 Exactly!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
I am planning on getting the Cellular model if I do get the mini. I wouldnt need blue tooth headphones
Um, yes you would. Other than holding the iPad up to your face, there's no other way to use a headset with an iPad other than Bluetooth.

Quote:
Plus I could facetime the people I call the most anyway( 99% of family and extended family have iPhones).
If you mostly text and FT people, then an iPad mini would be perfect. As I say, it is POSSIBLE to use it as a phone (paying Skype or Vonage for both a US number and unlimited calling), but "unwieldy" comes to mind.

My iPhone is in my pocket all the time, and the new iPhone 5 is so light it's like carrying air. The iPhone plus the iPad is a great setup, and I hate to be away from my iPad for long.
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
Um, yes you would. Other than holding the iPad up to your face, there's no other way to use a headset with an iPad other than Bluetooth.
I could just use the iphone headphones with a mic. The ipad has dictation and all so it would work perfectly.

Quote:
If you mostly text and FT people, then an iPad mini would be perfect. As I say, it is POSSIBLE to use it as a phone (paying Skype or Vonage for both a US number and unlimited calling), but "unwieldy" comes to mind.

My iPhone is in my pocket all the time, and the new iPhone 5 is so light it's like carrying air. The iPhone plus the iPad is a great setup, and I hate to be away from my iPad for long.
We will see. I also love my iphone4s and everytime I use it I ask myself, would the ipad mini be better, and a lot of the time the iphone is in one hand and I am doing something in the other... So.... We will see.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

I have the perfect solution for your problem.

Use an iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Turbodadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
I have the perfect solution for your problem.

Use an iPhone.
The screen is too small...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Christmas alternatives | ipad photos to iphotos »