New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 3 decision ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jcsfla

jcsfla is on a distinguished road

I am currently considering getting two iPad 3 32 GB for my daughters who are in middle and high school. We currently own an iMac computer at home that they currently share to do homework, etc. I was thinking of getting these iPads and using them as a desktop by purchasing the wireless keyboard, mouse and VGM adapter to hook up a larger screen. I also have an Airport printer that would support the iPad 3. All this would cost around $837 each. I am thinking the advantages here is that they can use the iPads as a mobile device and a desktop all in one. Is this a wise decision? Any other suggestions or tips from the forum?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The iPads can serve as desktops depending on what the usage is going to be. With Documents in Cloud, documents from Pages an be saved there for later access so not having access to the iPad's local storage probably isn't an issue. You can also Dropbox for other storage means..

However, you cannot hook it up to a large screen or anything. The iPad is not a notebook computer or anything, it is still a tablet..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsfla View Post
I am currently considering getting two iPad 3 32 GB for my daughters who are in middle and high school.

Any other suggestions or tips from the forum?
I trust that you know that the iPad has been recently updated to the iPad 4 (faster processor…the "A6X" cpu). So if you want the latest & greatest…make sure you get the iPad 4 with the A6X cpu…and not the former iPad 3 with the "A5X" cpu.

On the other hand…you may be able to save a few bucks getting an iPad 3. And if you don't need the iPad 3…you could probably save even more by getting some refurbished iPad 2's.

iPad 4 availability is supposed to be early November (November 2nd).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

To add to what RazOrEdge said you can however purchase an Apple TV 3 and mirror them on a Flat Panel TV and for 99 dollars I feel that and the other functions are well worth the cost.
As pigoo3 stated get the 4 unless a real nice deal can be had on the 3.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

The other thing to realize is that if you're planning for them to use these as quasi-computer replacements - that may not work as well as intended. For instance - whatever they're using for their homework currently - they'll likely need new versions of that SW for IOS on the iPad. The iPad can have its role in school - but it's not a replacement for a computer - but more of a complement.
QUOTE Thanks
Andz200zx

Location: Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh actually the UK
Andz200zx is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB

Hmm by the time you get to $837 would buying a MacBook Air base model be a better idea? (more memory, bigger screen etc.) Would be perfect and a very portable alternative.

PowerMac G5 Quad | iPad 16GB | iMac '11 21.5" - QC i7 2.8Ghz 1TB HD - 4GB | iPhone 3GS | MacBook 5,2 - 2.16 C2D - 3GB - 160GB HD | MacBook 5,2 2.0 C2D 4GB 64GB SSD | iPod nano 2nd gen 2GB (broken) | iPod touch 8GB 2nd gen (stolen) | iPod nano 3rd gen 4GB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with the above. I have an iPad 3 for travel purposes but I also have an iMac at home which provides for the work that I do. As a student, a MBA or MBP is a better choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Boosted_Brian

Boosted_Brian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen

As a student this is a horrible idea. Let me explain. I have a mbp with a very nice desktop setup that I can plug into a thunderbolt display with wireless keyboard and mouse. I also have an iPad. When it comes to actually being productive I prefer the actual computer setup. However, when is comes to completing all school related tasks, I am forced to use the computer. All of my college courses require the use of websites that require many plug-ins that are not supported on the iPad. Flash being just one of those. Also, the ipad is sometimes unable to load some websites correctly. While I am sure you are receiving pressure from your kids to purchase the iPads for there "cool" factor you will most likely be buying them Laptops in the very near future for their college classes. Long term the decision is not a good one where you will most likely be shelling out even more money in the future. Getting them a MBA or MBP will be a much better solution.

Bottom line the iPad will not work for a college student. It might work for simple tasks of creating documents but further than that I still see the iPad as a fun device. At this point it is no where near a computer replacement. Its a really big iPhone when it comes down to it, they basically share the same short comings.

~| 2011 15" MacBook Pro w/ TB Display |~
~| iPhone 5 64GB |~
~| iPad 3 32GB |~
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'd reconsider. No tablet can do all the things that a real computer can do. I like my iPad for checking communicating, playing games and taking notes, but for any kind of serious computing, you can't beat a Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I would look at refurbished MBAs for pretty much the same price and more storage plus all the computer functionality that an iPad doesn't have - i.e. flash videos, file directory for documents (yes, dropbox is nice but requires internet access), no additional mouse or keyboards to purchase, etc. etc.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disabling touchpad | Getting a new iPad Mini!!!!! »