iPad facetime wont work?
    I am buying the wife an iPad for her birthday shortly, (her birthday was the 13th September, )

The sister in law was up from the country and was showing the wife her iPad, features etc,
    And the wife was very impressed with facetime, (great for grandchildren when we are away)

When the sister in law got back home, she could not get facetime to work?

Note: She does not have wifi at home, (could this be the problem?)

Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If she doesn't have WiFi at home, does she have another way to connect the iPad to the internet? Without an internet connection, the FaceTime application is not going to work.

Thank you for the heads-up,
    I will check,
    I've taught her every thing I know and she still knows nothing
    Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Given that there IS no other way for a Wi-Fi iPad to access the internet ... yes, the problem is that she doesn't have a Wi-Fi network, and setting one up is the only way to fix the problem.

I would *strongly* recommend getting an Airport Express or Airport Extreme depending on needs. The current iterations are THE most no-hassle, rock-solid wireless routers you will ever come across.

Hi Chas
    She does have a sim card in the iPad and can get on the internet and google send emails etc,
    Does she still need a Wi-Fi connection for Facetime? I would have thought the sim card would do it?
    Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    That's different. If her iPad is also cellular capable (3G, 4G) she would not need a WiFi connection at home to connect to the internet. My iPad 3 is also 4G capable and if I pay Verizon for its usage, I can connect to the net when no WiFi is available as long as a cellular signal is.

BTW, you didn't mention that in your first post.....

[QUOTE=chscag;

BTW, you didn't mention that in your first post..... [/QUOTE]
    Sorry, us old guys do that sometimes ,
    Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    IF she has updated to iOS 6, IF she has paid for a data plan sufficient to handle the large quantities of data she'll use doing FaceTime under 3G, and IF her carrier allows it, THEN yes she won't need a wi-fi network.

My guess is that one or more of those conditions have not yet been met.

PS. Seriously, FaceTime uses a lot of data and I would be VERY reticent about using it under 3G until I was sure that I had a sufficient data plan (and overage protection) in place. Otherwise you could be looking at a shocking bill.

Tks for the info Chas,
    I have advised her to go into the shop where she bought it and also got the 3G plan, actually, it is a pay as you go plan,
    Appreciate the advice, will warn her of the pitfalls with face-time,
    When I find the final result,
    I will let you know what happens
    Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    FaceTime is AWESOME using Wi-Fi. If I can find a quiet place that offers free Wi-Fi (and that's not usually too difficult, particularly if you use the headphones-with-mic when using it), I can have a great conversation with someone. Just did that the other day in a restaurant.

Tks Chas,
    Appears her contract does not include that option and the option for face-time was very expensive as she does not have Internet at home other than the Sim card in the iPad
    Regards,
    Gary

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Sort of like AT&T service - I am grandfathered in their unlimited data plan. With that plan, FaceTime does not work.

If you want FaceTime, you have to change to one of their limited data plans so they can hit you with overage charges.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Sort of like AT&T service - I am grandfathered in their unlimited data plan. With that plan, FaceTime does not work.

If you want FaceTime, you have to change to one of their limited data plans so they can hit you with overage charges.
    I am in the same boat but the good news is FCC is still looking into it and at least you don't have to have a shared plan as they backed down it's now tiered.
    Seems like AT&T is doing everything it can to discourage keeping unlimited.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Yep they are. Walked into my local AT&T store 3-4 weeks ago, asked a few questions and walked out with my 3GS still in hand.

Am still contemplating getting a couple of dumb phones to replace what we have now and a mini-tablet with a data plan.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    The iPhone 5 has truly spoiled me and I can't (will not ) go back to a regular cell phone with that being said I still have a desire to upgrade our iPad1 to a 4 saw the Nat Geo pictures on my neighbors 4 and it hooked me the retina screen is awesome.

Thread Information