New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

what can the ipad do that other cheaper tablets can't?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wave

wave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook

I was thinking of getting one but they cost £399 at the cheapest model but the new kindle fire will cost £129 as one example.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave View Post
I was thinking of getting one but they cost £399 at the cheapest model but the new kindle fire will cost £129 as one example.
If price is the issue…you could consider a used iPad 1 or iPad 2.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You mean, apart from running a vastly superior operating system with the world's largest, most diverse and best app store; that takes better pictures, runs faster and gets updated more regularly; runs the thousands of apps that are iOS only, and being a quality product that's made of glass and aluminum rather than plastic? A tablet where the OS is controlled by a company that is interested in delighting you rather than a company that is primarily interested in obtaining your personal data so as to target advertising at you?

Hmm ... apart from that, nothing I guess ... depends on what's important to you, I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Besides what Chas and others said, the Web Browser in the iPad is a much better application than what Kindle uses. since the Web is very important in todays world, that could make the price worth it alone!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Ditto on what has already been said and it integrates with the rest of your Apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If price is an issue...... the Nexus 7 is a better option than the Kindle.....IMO

However..... perhaps (if rumours are true) it's worth hanging back for a few weeks and seeing if the iPad Mini appears....

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Kindle is designed and controlled by Amazon - which is also tightly controlling everything about that tablet. The downside is the Amazon app store is not the entire Google Play store. The upside is since it is controlled by Amazon there aren't a bunch of willy nilly apps that could contain malware.
Malware went undiscovered for weeks on Google Play | Security & Privacy - CNET News

The Kindle App runs on pretty much any device and Prime Videos is available for the iPad. The Kindle lending library is not available on anything other than a native Kindle device. (All of this is only useful if you have an Amazon Prime membership.)

If you don't have any other Apple device or media then one could argue there isn't much difference for media consumption. If you do have Apple DRM media then any iOS device can play it. Plus if you have Apple TVs or other Macs there Airplay which allows you to stream media from one device to the other. There are other 3rd party solutions like Plex to do streaming but it isn't as integrated and not always bi-directional. (If anything new has developed in this arena I'd like to hear about it)

Apps - if you haven't bought any then again not much difference. I have bought many apps over the years so making a switch to a different device would require a repurchase of similar apps. Apps are available across all iOS devices you own - so I bought the expensive GPS app - and now everyone in my immediate family that has my App Store login has that expensive app and has turn by turn directions.

iCloud and iCloud integration has become quite usable with the latest version of OSX and iOS. Pretty much all native apps save to iCloud so you can access the data from any device logged into your iCloud account. Google has google drive and Amazon has cloud storage but they don't make their own Office software - whereas iCloud is integrated into iWorks (among other native apps)

TL ; DR - if you are looking for a media consumption device then the Kindle Fire HD is quite good for the price. The Nexus is a very good 7" tablet that is general purpose. The 10" iPad has a lot more Apps available - and can still be used as a media consumption device.

(Note I kept the discussion to stock devices, you can jailbreak iOS and root android and open a lot of other possibilities)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave View Post
What can the iPad do that cheaper tablets can't?

Answer: put a smile on your face . . . ..

All joking aside, that is really my answer. I have a few really good knives, far more decent knives and a few crappy cheap knives (kitchen cutlery). All of them will chop, slice, dice and julienne. The good knives make it a pleasure.

The iPad is a joy to use (mostly); I haven't found that to be the case with any of the cheap alternatives I've tried. But, if you try them and they put a smile on your face then they are a good and cheaper alternative.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While the iPad is most definitely the superior device, the Kindle Fire is a pretty nice little tablet for the price. I have both a Kindle Fire and the iPad1. Haven't touched the iPad in at least 3 months - but, I have a MacBook Air I use for most things.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
If price is an issue...... the Nexus 7 is a better option than the Kindle.....IMO

However..... perhaps (if rumours are true) it's worth hanging back for a few weeks and seeing if the iPad Mini appears....
Agree with Mr. Plow on this. The Nexus 7 is vastly superior to the Kindle Fire.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
The Kindle App runs on pretty much any device and Prime Videos is available for the iPad.
Which is what I like about the Kindle app. I have it on my iMac and while it's pretty much limited to the books that are available in the Amazon library, the price is right and the books are inexpensive when compared to the paper copy. Besides, I have a nice large screen to sit back and read from.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad WiFi Internet Question | Buying a iPad 1 or 2 »