New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Got an iPad!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Well I FINALLY joined the "iPad club"!

I've wanted (and saved my money) since the first iPad was released 2.5 years ago…but I just couldn't allow myself to spend $400-$500+ on a device that really couldn't do anything that my laptop couldn't do. And because I wasn't doing a lot of traveling (when the abilities of the iPad really shine)…this also forced me to delay the purchase of an iPad.

But…I did promise myself that if I could get a good deal on a used iPad off Craig's List…I would go for it. So I've been casually searching Craig's List probably for the better part of 1.5-2.0 years…and I've probably communicated with 20-30 iPad sellers…and one thing or another would cause the deal to fall thru:

- seller sold it to someone else
- we couldn't agree on a price
- wrong color (black vs. white)
- something wrong with it
- seller decided to keep it
- etc.

I should also mention that my perfect "target iPad model" was an iPad 2 (32gig WiFi+3G)…but I was flexible depending on the price.

Finally last week I contacted a Craig's List seller regarding the iPad they had for sale. We met...I checked it out…and purchased it. It was an iPad 1 (16gig WiFi+3G…AT&T). Pretty good shape (a couple barely visible dings on the back, and a couple small almost unnoticeable scratches on the display). The seller wanted $150 for it…I got it for $120!!!

$120 for an iPad 1 (16gig +3G)!!! An AWESOME deal!!! In case folks don't know…Apple charges $130 for the 3G option (regardless of model). So I got this iPad for less than the cost of the 3G option!

It works great…strong battery life...very happy with it!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I got in toward the beginning on a refurb that looked like new for $350 which for the time was a steal but that is an even better deal.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Congrats and welcome to the club!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I got in toward the beginning on a refurb that looked like new for $350 which for the time was a steal but that is an even better deal.
Believe it or not…the Apple refurb. Store is still selling the exact model iPad I purchased (iPad1, 16gig WiFi+3G AT&T)…for $359:

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB - Black - AT&T (1st Gen.) - Apple Store (U.S.)

…and I got a used one for $120!!! I did come VERY close a couple times to buying a refurbished iPad 2 16gig WiFi for when they were $399.

It would have been nice to get an iPad 2 with the builtin cameras…but for $120 (with 3G)…I can live without the cameras!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Congrats and welcome to the club!
Thanks Razormac!

FYI…my sim card works (let's hope it stays that way)!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I hear you on that for sure! Good deal. I am amazed the iPad 1 is still going for so high with apple since it does in no way support IOS6.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I hear you on that for sure! Good deal. I am amazed the iPad 1 is still going for so high with apple since it does in no way support IOS6.
Yeah…I bought this iPad the day after iOS6 was released…and found out that the iPad 1's max-out with iOS 5. It would have been nice if the iPad 1 could run iOS 6…but for $120…I can live with it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Agreed. I live with my 1st Gen. I am sure in the future it will get in the way. What bugs me is the 3GS with a weaker single core CPU runs ios6 and the iPad with the iPhone 4's cpu does not!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Agreed. I live with my 1st Gen. I am sure in the future it will get in the way. What bugs me is the 3GS with a weaker single core CPU runs ios6 and the iPad with the iPhone 4's cpu does not!
Apple works in mysterious ways!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I could have sold ya one - but not at that price good deal Nick

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
I wondered about that myself .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I could have sold ya one - but not at that price good deal Nick
Thanks Tom! The price is what made the whole thing come together!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm to the point now where I want to throw my iPad (1st gen) out the window it is so slow. Well, certain apps are slow because app devs are making their apps more feature-rich, etc (I'm looking at you TV Guide) and that old iPad can barely keep up. I'm selling mine in April 2013 to get an iPad 4 or whatever it's going to be called (the new new iPad).

But congrats on getting a smoking deal!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm to the point now where I want to throw my iPad (1st gen) out the window it is so slow. Well, certain apps are slow because app devs are making their apps more feature-rich, etc.

But congrats on getting a smoking deal!
I hear you and I totally understand. Maybe I just haven't used the right app./apps. yet to see how slow the iPad 1 can be. I do notice that it loads some complex websites more slowly…but I was thinking that was more of a weak WiFi network issue.

I mostly wanted an iPad for when I'm away from home (business or pleasure) for 3 things:

- check e-mail
- surf the internet
- have 3G "connectibility" when I'm unable to use a WiFi hotspot

At $120 bucks…anything I get beyond this is a BONUS!!!

- Nick

p.s. With the Apps. my wife & I already have…and the internet surfing I've been doing…I really have not had any real problems.
p.p.s. When I'm at home…I really don't use the iPad…I use my MacBook Pro.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Good deal Nick!

The bright spot on the iPad 1 is it happens to be serviceable, unlike the iPad 2 and 3. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone hacked it to run iOS 6. Given that the iPhone 4 can, and the iPad 1 is pretty much equivalent spec-wise, it seems like a very artificial limitation.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipad1 - connection | Problem : Uninstall apps »